As I discussed yesterday, I had a rating to settle, and so I settled it:
Now I’m turning my consideration again to all of the issues I’d put aside, together with some updates I’d been that means to make to my Platypus:
Properly, it was raining fairly steadily this morning, which meant the chance had lastly arrived.
Once I first assembled the Platypus, I used Shimano bar-end shifters, since I occurred to have readily available:
Whereas they work simply advantageous, the friction mode is slightly imprecise and lame, particularly in comparison with the Silvers. Additionally, as a lot as I like bar-end shifters, my knees do hit these throughout tight maneuvers, which I’ve been partaking in slightly extra currently since determining that, regardless of its genteel mixte look, the Platypus likes to get slightly rowdy. So I used to be trying ahead to altering issues round slightly bit.
First I eliminated the outdated shifter. Right here’s what it seems like inside if meaning something to you:
It’s a uncommon Dura Ace 10-speed shifter with indexing mode, which existed for a fleeting and pointless second in Shimano historical past.
Subsequent, I eliminated the grips. I hesitate to even point out this, since grip set up and removing is a kind of topics about which cyclists get douche-chillingly pedantic, and I’m positive a number of individuals will inform me that I do it fallacious, or that their manner is best. Regardless, Thaving already run the shifter housing beneath the grips, I wedged just a few hex keys in there too and poured a small quantity of rubbing alcohol within the ensuing opening:
They slid off like pores and skin off an oily drumstick.
Quickly the bars had been naked, and I started the reassembly course of:
I discover I typically use the flat part of the bar simply previous that first bend after the grip space, so I utilized extra rubbing alcohol and pushed the grips again up there. Then I placed on the ThumbShifter/Silver2 combos and the brake levers:
Assembling the shifter, uh, meeting is straightforward (see: video), and one nifty characteristic is you can angle the cable housing cease just about any manner you need:
One factor I discovered is that, relying on the place you set the shifter, it might hinder entry to your brake lever bolt. I used to be in a position to get to mine, although clearance was very tight:
I’ve seen Rivendells typically have their brake levers reversed in order that the bolt is on high (actually my spouse’s Clem Smith, Jr. arrived like that) and I assume this is the reason. So in case you’re placing collectively a motorcycle with these things and ranging from scratch you might need to do this too, although on this explicit case I used to be manner too lazy to re-do my brake levers, and anyway it seems like I ought to be capable to get to the bolt simply advantageous.
Along with being lazy, I’m additionally low cost, so in fact I endeavored to re-use as a lot cable and housing as attainable–regardless that the Silver2 care bundle arrived full with recent cables and housing. Since I’d moved the shifters up the bar I’d have to journey the housing. For years I’ve used a Dremel to chop my cable housing, however currently I’ve simply been doing it the old style manner, although I do take just a few moments to file the top afterwards and poke on the gap with an axe or jail shank or no matter that’s to ensure issues work easily:
Observe I managed to deal with the wheel and never the instruments, as a result of I’m even worse at taking photos than I’m at engaged on bikes. Anyway, in the long run I managed to re-use all of the housing and one of many shifter cables. The opposite shifter cable saved fraying, although with some cautious trimming I ought to be capable to use it someplace else in the future. I do know there are individuals who solder cable ends to forestall this from occurring, however I’m afraid I simply don’t function on that stage.
As soon as I obtained the whole lot collectively and shifting I slid on one other pair of grips I had laying round, then I turned my consideration to another modifications I’d been that means to make. As a lot as I really like the flamboyant MKS vintage-style bear traps I’ve been utilizing, it seems my ageing toes want extra assist, so I moved these over from the Jones:
I’ve additionally discovered that this Spurcycle Compact bell, whereas sonorous, is fairly ineffectual, in that whereas I can hear it simply advantageous apparently few different individuals can:
In actual fact, not too way back, I shocked somebody on a path regardless of having rung my bell a number of instances earlier than passing, which prompted her to say one thing like, “You’ll want to get a extra insistent bell,” which is among the many most irritating issues a stranger has ever stated to me.
So I placed on a special bell.
Then I headed out for a quick, wet check trip:
You possibly can’t draw too many significant conclusions from a trip across the block, however all indicators are constructive to this point:
The Silver2 shifters had been a right away enchancment when it comes to operation, which I anticipated, and whereas I’m positive I’ll find yourself twiddling with the place, I’m to this point fairly happy with the transfer from bar-end to thumb:
Including extra grip to the bars was additionally lengthy overdue:
I stay up for placing extra time in on it if it ever stops raining.