Each Thanksgiving, I seek for a pumpkin pie that I’ll passionately crave and enthusiastically devour, versus the way in which I’ve eaten it beforehand: apathetically out of inexplicable vacation obligation. At this time’s simple Vegan Pumpkin Pie is THE ONE!
I attempt a slice of conventional pumpkin pie yearly simply to see if it’s improved within the final one year.
Yearly, I’m disillusioned by every thing about it aside from the whipped cream on high.
Not this yr. THIS is the yr of vegan pumpkin pie (and Vegan Pumpkin Muffins!).
Need assistance planning your vegan Thanksgiving menu? Don’t miss this assortment of my most-favorite Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes.
5 Star Evaluation
“THE BEST vegan pumpkin pie I’ve ever tasted!”
— Lisa —
This vegan pumpkin pie breaks each single pumpkin pie rule:
- Its filling is unbaked. This straightforward no-bake vegan pumpkin pie filling will get ready proper in a meals processor and requires time within the oven. Merely combine, switch to your pie shell, and chill till set (similar to this Vegan Chocolate Pie).
- It’s naturally gluten free, dairy free, and, sure, vegan. With an almond flour crust and a pumpkin pie filling with out eggs or milk, this can be a pie everybody at your desk can eat with gusto. You can also make it with graham cracker crust.
- It’s wholesome. The filling comprises NO SUGAR (which means refined, added sugar). Somewhat, it’s naturally sweetened with dates (like Vegan Cookie Dough Bars with Chocolate Chips).
- AND it’s indisputably scrumptious. Even the staunchest pumpkin pie doubter (like myself) will adore this creamy, wealthy, completely spiced Thanksgiving dessert.
To summarize, this isn’t in any respect the pumpkin pie I anticipated to bake (or, on this case, because the filling is uncooked, to not bake), however it’s one I’d fortunately inhale yearly at Thanksgiving and lots of days in between.
Find out how to Make Vegan Pumpkin Pie
As irony would have it, in my effort to create the proper traditional pumpkin pie recipe, I landed on one which isn’t traditional in any respect.
Whereas it might not be conventional (nor are these Vegan Brownies), this simple, no-bake vegan pumpkin pie could be the BEST pumpkin pie recipe of all time.
- Almond Flour. As I discussed, this pie has a gluten free pie crust, a activity I completed by making the pie crust out of almond flour as a substitute of wheat flour. I like this crust as a result of it’s simple and tastes like an enormous almond flour shortbread cookie.
- Vegan Butter. Makes this a vegan pie crust recipe with a texture that’s tender and flaky.
- Sugar + Salt. Enhances the flavour of the crust and provides simply the correct quantity of sweetness.
- Coconut Oil. Provides richness and helps to make the filling creamy and easy.
- Pumpkin. No have to make your individual pumpkin puree (though you’re welcome to experiment if you wish to make your vegan pumpkin pie from scratch completely). Simply seize a can of your favourite canned pumpkin puree.
- Medjool Dates. My secret to sweetening this wholesome pumpkin pie recipe (and Vegan Protein Bars) with none refined sugar or brown sugar. I additionally love that they assist thicken the filling with out including cornstarch, tapioca starch, or arrowroot powder to the filling recipe.
- Almond Butter. Provides additional richness and creaminess to the filling.
- Spices. Some issues about vegan pumpkin pie want to remain traditional, and that features a pumpkin spice mix. A mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger completely spice this creamy, simple vegan pumpkin pie. Be happy so as to add a touch of cloves in case you please.
- Vanilla + Maple Extract. Enhances the mix of pumpkin pie spices and creamy pumpkin puree.
- Topping. A dollop of whipped coconut cream (made with full fats coconut milk) is my go-to vegan alternative for ending my slice of no-bake vegan pumpkin pie.
- Whisk collectively the dry elements for the crust.
- Pour within the melted butter.
- Stir then press right into a pie dish.
In the event you’d wish to flute the sides, construct the crust up into an excellent, unfluted “mound” that circles the dish first, then use your thumb and fingers to crimp as desired. Alternatively, you can even go away it unfluted or crimp it with the tines of a fork.
- Blind bake the crust for 10 minutes, then take away it from the oven and defend the sides with foil or a pie crust defend. Return to the oven and bake till calmly golden. Let cool.
- Pulse the dates in a meals processor till they kind a sticky ball.
- Add the remaining filling elements.
- Puree till easy.
It will take a number of minutes, and you might have to cease and scrape down the meals processor just a few occasions. It is best to have just some small specks of dates remaining.
- Switch the filling to the crust and easy the highest. Chill within the fridge till set, slice, and serve. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. This pie is finest served the day it’s made or as much as 1 day after. Preserve refrigerated till able to serve. Leftovers of this pie past 1 day are nonetheless tasty, however I discovered the spices misplaced some pizzazz, and the crust softened greater than I’d have wished for a primary impression.
- To Freeze. I don’t suggest freezing this pie. Upon thawing, the crust turns into soggy with this specific pumpkin pie recipe.
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Pie Plate. I like that this pie pan is cheap but seems so fairly!
- Meals Processor. This one has been my trusted kitchen companion for a few years.
- Pie Defend. In the event you make pies commonly, investing in an reasonably priced pie defend is a worthwhile addition to your baking arsenal.
The Finest Pie Dish
These ceramic 9-inch pie dishes are distribute warmth and bake evenly. They’re additionally oven- and dishwasher-safe.
This vegan pumpkin pie tastes as conventional because it ought to; it’s wealthy, creamy, satisfying, and the proper end to your Thanksgiving feast.
Often Requested Questions
Whereas I’m sometimes all for changing refined sugar in recipes, that is one the place I felt the “actual” deal was mandatory. The sugar performs an important position in not simply sweetening the crust however making the crust golden, tender, and flaky. With that mentioned, if you need to experiment with different sugar choices, I’d love to listen to about your outcomes.
The trick to creating one of the best vegan pumpkin pie is mixing the filling till it’s completely easy. Take your time; it would take longer than you suppose, and course of the filling till only some specks of dates stay seen.
Positive! Nevertheless, relying on the crust you buy, the pie could not be vegan or gluten free. To make use of a store-bought pie crust, blind bake as directed, then fill in accordance with the recipe directions. Bear in mind that you could be want pie weights to blind bake a distinct crust.
Actually! Be happy to swap the almond flour crust on this recipe together with your favourite vegan graham cracker crust. That is simple to make with graham crackers, a little bit of sugar, and melted vegan buttery unfold.
For the Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter substitute melted and cooled to room temperature (If you don’t want the crust to be vegan, you’ll be able to swap common unsalted butter OR 4 tablespoons butter + 1 massive egg.)
For the Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 3 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 10 medjool dates pitted
- 1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree*
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon creamy unsalted almond butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons floor cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon floor ginger barely heaped
- 1/4 teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- A number of whipped coconut cream (or common whipped cream in case you don’t want the pie to be dairy free)
To organize the crust, place a rack within the heart of your oven and preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Generously coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick spray.
In a big bowl, mix the almond flour, sugar, and salt.
Pour within the melted butter.
With a fork, stir till evenly moistened and mixed. The combination will appear dry and crumbly. As you combine, use the again of your fork to smush the extra moist components into the dry components and vice versa, persevering with till the entire almond flour is as evenly moistened as doable, and also you don’t have any fully dry bits remaining.
Switch the combination to the ready dish, and together with your fingers, press it alongside the underside and up the perimeters into an excellent layer (I discover the underside of a clear measuring cup a really helpful means to do that). If you would like to flute the sides, construct the crust up into an excellent, unfluted “mound” that circles the dish first, then use your thumb and fingers to crimp as desired. (You too can go away it unfluted or crimp with the tines of a fork.) With a fork, prick holes all around the backside.
Place within the oven and bake 10 minutes, then take away from the oven and defend the sides with foil or a pie crust defend. Return to the oven and bake 8 to 10 extra minutes, till mild golden brown. Let cool.
To organize the filling, soften the coconut oil in a small microwave-safe bowl or a small saucepan. Put aside to chill barely. Place the dates within the bowl of a meals processor fitted with a metal blade and course of till they flip right into a sticky ball.
Add the melted coconut oil, pumpkin, almond butter, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla extract, maple extract, and salt.
Puree till easy. It will take a number of minutes, and you might have to cease and scrape down the meals processor just a few occasions. It is best to have just some small specks of dates remaining.
Switch the filling into the crust and easy the highest. Place within the fridge and let chill for at the very least 6 hours or in a single day. Slice and serve!
- *INGREDIENT NOTE: I do know that is barely shy of an entire can of pumpkin, however don’t be tempted to make use of the total can, or your filling won’t arrange fully (belief me). Stir any remaining pumpkin into your subsequent batch of oatmeal, or a smoothie. You can additionally add it to any of these pumpkin recipes.
- TO STORE: This pie is finest served the day it’s made or as much as 1 day after. Preserve refrigerated till able to serve. Leftovers of this pie past 1 day are nonetheless tasty, however I discovered the spices misplaced some pizzazz, and the crust softened greater than I’d have wished for a primary impression.
- TO FREEZE: I don’t suggest freezing this pie. Upon thawing, the crust turns into soggy with this specific pumpkin pie recipe.
Serving: 1(of 10); with out whipped coconut creamEnergy: 445kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 10gFats: 33gSaturated Fats: 7gPolyunsaturated Fats: 4gMonounsaturated Fats: 8gTrans Fats: 1gPotassium: 340mgFiber: 7gSugar: 24gVitamin A: 4803IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 134mgIron: 2mg
Be part of right this moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.