On the subject of the quick and livid facet dishes of the world, Sautéed Spinach wins the race. A flexible, wholesome facet that cooks in minutes, it pairs with any protein and could be added to vegetarian recipes too.
My expertise of spinach as a child was watching Popeye down cans of it on TV, which my dad and mom used to influence me (unsuccessfully) to eat my greens.
No offense to Popeye (clearly, the spinach was working for him), however till you’ve eaten sautéed recent spinach, you might be lacking out on the scrumptious potential of this dietary powerhouse.
Sautéed greens, like Sautéed Brussels Sprouts, Sautéed Carrots, and Sautéed Mushrooms, are glorious, wholesome additions to weeknight dinners.
You may serve them with absolutely anything, and since they sauté on the stovetop, they go away the oven free so that you can prepare dinner your important for those who so select.
In fact, like every cooked vegetable recipe, a lot of the style lies within the preparation (why Roasted Cauliflower is scrumptious however boiled cauli is bleh).
This publish has the very best tricks to make yummy (not mushy!) sautéed spinach, plus a straightforward recipe for garlicky parmesan sautéed spinach you’ll be able to serve proper alongside no matter you’re cooking for dinner tonight.
Ideas for the Finest Sautéed Spinach
To make sautéed spinach that’s tender, however not soggy, well-seasoned, and might maintain its personal on the plate, observe the following tips.
- Use Recent Spinach. Whereas I LOVE frozen boxed spinach for stirring into pastas and casseroles, it must be recent if you find yourself serving spinach by itself. Frozen or canned spinach will style mushy and off.
- Take away Any Massive Stems if You’re Nervous about Presentation. Whereas the stems on spinach leaves do soften throughout cooking, they are often distracting within the last dish. If you happen to’re going for an exquisite presentation, they’re additionally not the prettiest. If you happen to aren’t anxious about appearances and don’t thoughts the stems, you’ll be able to go away the stems on.
- Use Extra Spinach Than You Assume. If you happen to’ve cooked spinach earlier than, you recognize big handfuls of recent spinach will prepare dinner all the way down to seemingly nothing. A superb rule of thumb is 4 to six ounces (or 4 to six frivolously packed cups or handfuls) of recent spinach per particular person.
- Use a Giant Skillet. Even for a small group, you must prepare dinner A LOT of spinach. Utilizing a big, large skillet offers the leaves room to prepare dinner down.
- Season it Up. Spinach is extremely gentle, making it versatile. It additionally signifies that it’s essential to season it effectively. Some nice flavors so as to add to spinach are garlic, Parmesan, lemon, and crimson pepper flakes.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK. Overcooked spinach is mushy spinach. The spinach will probably be gentle and wilted, nevertheless it shouldn’t be a watery mess. It’s greatest to prepare dinner spinach instantly earlier than serving to maintain it tasting recent.
Tips on how to Make Sautéed Spinach
Recent spinach isn’t only for Spinach Strawberry Salad with Balsamic Poppy Seed Dressing!
Sautéed till heat and wilted, spinach is the right quick facet and a straightforward and scrumptious approach so as to add vitamin to your plate.
Most frequently, I make sauteed spinach with garlic and Parmesan, together with crimson pepper flakes.
These easy, traditional flavors style elevated, whereas nonetheless permitting the primary dish to shine.
Be at liberty so as to add your individual favourite spices, make your sautéed spinach with out garlic, or attempt one of many recipe variations beneath.
- Child Spinach. Recent, tender child spinach shortly transforms into this completely wilted and surprisingly tasty dish. Spinach boasts a formidable lineup of well being advantages (good day fiber and nutritional vitamins!).
- Olive Oil + Butter. Cooking the spinach in further virgin olive oil and butter offers it a taste increase and crowd-pleasing attraction.
- Garlic. Provides garlicky goodness to every chunk with out overpowering the opposite flavors.
- Salt. A pinch of salt makes a significant distinction within the total taste of your sautéed spinach.
- Parmesan. As a result of all the things is best with a ending sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Crimson Pepper Flakes. Provides a touch of warmth with out making the spinach spicy. You may skip the crimson pepper flakes for those who choose.
- Warmth the oil and butter in a Dutch oven.
- When the butter begins effervescent, add the garlic.
- Add the spinach by the handful.
- Stir every time you add spinach till it begins to wilt. Cowl the pot and cut back the warmth. Stir once more after 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, a part of the Parmesan, and the crimson pepper flakes. Switch the spinach to a bowl, topping it with the remaining Parmesan. DIG IN!
- Sautéed Spinach and Onions. Chop 1 medium onion. Add the onion to the pot with the garlic, cooking till frivolously browned. End the recipe as directed.
- Sautéed Spinach and Tomatoes. To immediately elevate your sautéed spinach, add some Roasted Tomatoes simply earlier than serving.
- Sautéed Spinach with Bacon. Crumble Air Fryer Bacon or Baked Bacon within the Oven over your spinach simply earlier than serving.
- Sautéed Spinach with Cheese. Put together this recipe as directed with the Parmesan cheese or an identical nutty aged cheese. Add an additional tablespoon for extremely tacky spinach.
- Sautéed Spinach with Lemon. A squeeze of lemon juice can be pleasant on this spinach. Stir 1 tablespoon of recent lemon juice into the spinach simply earlier than serving.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate spinach in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Gently reheat spinach within the microwave till heat.
- To Freeze. Pack the sautéed spinach leaves into the wells of an ice dice tray. Freeze till strong. Switch the frozen spinach cubes to an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Thaw the cubes within the fridge as wanted.
Whereas frozen sautéed spinach isn’t superb for thawing and having fun with by itself, it really works fantastically as an addition to different recipes. Strive incorporating it into your favourite soups, pastas, and pizzas.
What to Serve with Sautéed Spinach
Gentle in taste, sautéed spinach goes effectively with a variety of proteins.
Sides that Pair Nicely with sautéed Spinach
Beneficial Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Dutch Oven. Good for making this sautéed spinach recipe.
- Wood Spoon. One in all my most-used and beloved kitchen instruments.
- Colander. Superb for all the things from washing spinach or draining pasta.
The Finest Dutch Oven
With a myriad of lovely colours and high quality that’ll final a lifetime, this Dutch oven is a worthy funding piece. It really works effectively on the stovetop and within the oven.
Cooked spinach could be scrumptious!
If Popeye (and my dad and mom) had adopted this recipe, I most likely would have began consuming it at a a lot youthful age.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Sure, sautéed spinach is a wholesome and nutritious facet dish. Spinach is low in energy however excessive in nutritional vitamins A and C, in addition to iron, calcium, and fiber.
Whereas recent child spinach is the only option for sautéed spinach, you should utilize frozen spinach in a pinch. Make sure to thaw and drain the spinach earlier than cooking it within the skillet.
Sautéed spinach is greatest when served recent, however you can also make it forward of time and reheat it earlier than serving. To reheat, merely place it in a microwave-safe dish and warmth it for 1 to 2 minutes or till scorching.
Whereas recent garlic is the only option for this recipe, you’ll be able to swap garlic powder in a pinch. Use 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic minced (about 1 teaspoon); add as much as 3 teaspoons relying upon how garlicky you’d prefer it
- 12 ounces child spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a Dutch oven or related giant, deep pot, add the oil and butter over medium warmth.
As quickly because the butter begins to bubble and foam, stir within the garlic.
Add the spinach by massive handfuls, stirring as you go in order that it begins to wilt down and you may match extra within the pot.
As soon as all the spinach has been added, cowl the pot and cut back the warmth to medium low. Let prepare dinner 3 minutes. Uncover and stir. The spinach needs to be pretty wilted, but when it’s not, proceed to stir till it’s.
Stir within the salt, 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan, and the crimson pepper flakes. Style and alter the seasoning as desired. With a slotted spoon, take away it to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Take pleasure in instantly.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate spinach in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Gently reheat spinach within the microwave till heat.
- TO FREEZE: Pack the spinach leaves into the wells of an ice dice tray. Freeze till strong. Switch the frozen spinach cubes to an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Thaw the cubes within the fridge. Whereas frozen sautéed spinach isn’t superb for thawing and having fun with by itself, it really works fantastically as an addition to different recipes. Strive incorporating it into your favourite soups, pastas, pizzas, sandwiches, and extra.
Serving: 1 (of 4)Energy: 59kcalCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 3gFats: 4gSaturated Fats: 2gPolyunsaturated Fats: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0.1gLdl cholesterol: 6mgPotassium: 483mgFiber: 2gSugar: 0.4gVitamin A: 8040IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 108mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of in the present day and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.