This Prompt Pot Beef Stew is a hearty, comforting dish made with chunks of tender, crumble beef in a flavorful broth with carrots, potatoes, and inexperienced peas completed all in your Prompt Pot!
Why We Love Beef Stew
There’s simply nothing fairly like hearty beef stew! All these flavors and ultra-tender textures of meat and veggies are simply in regards to the coziest factor you possibly can put in a bowl. It’s undoubtedly the final word consolation meals!
Normally, beef stew is extra of a weekend affair. It takes time to tenderize all of the goodies on the range. However with this scrumptious Prompt Pot model, you possibly can have have wonderful stew with minimal prep (and half the time in comparison with stovetop stew, in the event you’re utilizing the IP!) So beef stew can go in your weeknight menu. That is the BEST Beef Stew you’ll ever make – the flavors are unimaginable, and the meat is so crumble tender you possibly can eat it with a spoon.
Components Wanted for Prompt Pot Beef Stew
- Beef Chuck Roast: This lower of beef is a extra marbled lower and when it’s cooked below stress in your Prompt Pot, it turns into completely soften in your mouth tender. You need to use different cuts of beef like rump roast which generally aren’t as tender, and even this sort of lower will come out actually tender in your Prompt Pot.
- Onion: yellow or white onions work good on this recipe and can add a scrumptious taste.
- Carrots: For beef stew, it’s greatest to make use of carrots which can be agency, candy, and have a very good texture. The most typical kind of carrots which can be used for beef stew are the common orange carrots, They’ve a naturally candy style and are excessive in beta-carotene.
- Potatoes: Yukon Gold potatoes are sometimes thought of the most effective number of potatoes for beef stew. They’ve a buttery taste and a creamy texture that holds up nicely in the course of the lengthy cooking time. Additionally they don’t crumble as simply as another varieties.
- Beef Broth
- Tomato Paste: provides a wealthy, tomatoey taste and a deep pink colour. It might probably additionally assist to thicken the stew because it cooks and add a little bit of acidity which assist to steadiness the flavors
- Worcestershire Sauce: provides a savory, salty, and barely candy style to beef stew. It additionally provides umami taste to the dish, which is a savory style that’s usually described as “meaty” or “brothy”.
- Inexperienced Peas: add a pop of colour and a recent, candy taste to beef stew. Additionally they add a distinction in texture to the tender beef and tender potatoes within the stew.
- Corn Starch: This may be added on the finish in the event you really feel such as you need a thicker stew. I normally don’t find yourself including it as a result of this recipe makes a very nice thick stew.
- Spices: thyme, salt and pepper.
Methods to Make Beef Stew in Your Prompt Pot
The magic of the Prompt Pot is that it creates SUPER tender meat and veggies, in a fraction of the time it takes to cook dinner in your stove-top (or anyplace else, actually!) And once you make this stew within the Prompt Pot, you are able to do all of your cooking in a single place. Right here’s easy methods to do it:
- Push the “Saute” button in your Prompt Pot, and add the olive oil. Season the meat with salt and pepper. When the pot is scorching, add half the meat cubes to the Prompt Pot and sear for 5-7 minutes till caramelized and brown on the underside. Take away and put aside. Repeat with oil and the remainder of the meat cubes. Take away and put aside with already browned beef.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic to the pot, and saute till they start to melt and switch brown. (It’ll occur in simply 2-3 minutes as a result of your pot is already so scorching!)
- Add the meat broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and tomato paste. Stir briefly to mix, then cancel the “Saute” mode in your Prompt Pot. This can deglaze your pot and add a scrumptious taste to your stew.
- Add the caramelized beef again to the pot, then carrots and potatoes. Just remember to lower the veggies in massive items, in any other case they’ll breakdown an excessive amount of and switch mushy. For those who select so as to add the candy potato, it is going to breakdown regardless and is supposed so as to add thickness and taste to the stew base.
- Put the lid on and set the valve to seal. Push the “Handbook” or “Excessive Stress” button in your Prompt Pot, and set the timer for 25 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, let the pot depressurize naturally for about ten minutes. After 10 minutes, flip the valve to launch the remaining stress, then open the lid rigorously. Add the frozen peas.
- If you would like a thicker stew, make a cornstarch slurry by whisking cornstarch and water collectively. Stir into the stew, and press ‘saute’ and let it simmer for a couple of minutes to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to style. Serve heat with crusty bread or rolls. Take pleasure in!
Methods to Make Beef Stew in Your Sluggish Cooker
The gradual cooker model of this stew is simply as scrumptious! It might even be slightly bit extra easy within the prep division (you don’t must pop in halfway so as to add the veggies.) The trade-off is, it takes many hours extra for the stew to be prepared. And also you’ll want to make use of one further pan to brown your meat. Select the strategy that works greatest for you! Right here’s easy methods to make this scrumptious, savory beef stew in your gradual cooker:
- Use a big skillet to brown your meat on the stovetop, then switch it to your gradual cooker.
- Add all of the remaining substances, besides the corn starch and frozen peas. Put the lid on the gradual cooker, and cook dinner on low for 8 hours, or on excessive for five hours.
- Open the lid and stir within the cornstarch and water slurry till the stew thickens.
- Add the peas and stir till they’re heated via. Serve and luxuriate in!
What’s the secret to tender beef stew?
- Select the precise lower of beef: Search for cuts which can be labeled as “stewing beef” or “beef for braising,” as these are sometimes well-marbled and can break down and turn out to be tender in the course of the lengthy cooking course of. Good choices embody chuck roast, spherical roast, and quick ribs.
- Brown the meat nicely: Earlier than including the meat to the stew, it’s necessary to brown it nicely on all sides. This helps to seal within the juices and provides taste to the completed dish.
- Use an Prompt Pot or Crockpot: Each of those cooking strategies will tenderize the meat both through the use of stress or an extended slower cooking technique.
Is it higher to gradual cook dinner or stress cook dinner beef stew?
Each gradual cooking and cooking in a stress cooker can produce scrumptious beef stew, however there are a couple of variations.
Stress cooking in your Prompt Pot is nice for rapidly tenderizing robust cuts of meat, and infusing the flavors of the opposite substances into the meat. The substances are cooked at excessive stress, which raises the boiling level of the liquids, leading to a sooner cooking time.
Sluggish cooking is nice for breaking down robust cuts of meat and infusing them with the flavors of the opposite substances. Sluggish cooking additionally permits for an extended window of time for the flavors to meld collectively, producing a extra advanced taste.
In the end, the selection between gradual cooking and stress cooking will depend on your private desire and the way a lot time you could have.
Why is my stew meat robust in Prompt Pot?
These are some causes your stew meat is likely to be robust when cooked in an Prompt Pot:
- The meat was not correctly browned earlier than cooking: Browning the meat earlier than cooking it within the Prompt Pot helps to seal within the juices and create a flavorful crust on the skin of the meat. Skipping this step can lead to a much less flavorful, and harder meat.
- The meat was cooked for too lengthy: Overcooking the meat could cause it to turn out to be robust, because the proteins within the meat can break down and lose moisture. To keep away from this, make certain to observe the recipe directions.
- The lower of meat will not be nice for stewing: Some cuts of meats are higher for stew than others. Meats which can be extra tender, like sirloin or tenderloin, won’t require as lengthy cooking time as much less tender cuts like chuck roast or rump roast.
- The Prompt Pot was not correctly sealed: If the Prompt Pot will not be correctly sealed, the stress won’t construct up and the meat won’t cook dinner as rapidly. Ensure that the lid is locked and that the sealing ring is in place.
Storing Leftover Beef Stew
Leftovers style nice the subsequent day! Retailer within the fridge and reheat in a saucepan in your range. Leftovers will preserve nicely for about 4 days within the fridge.
You might also freeze this stew, however you may discover that the potatoes change their texture a bit and are rather less fascinating reheated from frozen.
Strive Extra Hearty Prompt Pot Recipes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chuck roast lower into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium carrots peeled and lower into 1 1/2″ inch items
- 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to style
- 2 teaspoons corn starch + 1 tablespoon chilly water (optionally available)
- 1 medium candy potato optionally available
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS
Push the “Saute” button in your Prompt Pot, and add the olive oil. Season the meat with salt and pepper. When the pot is scorching, add half the meat cubes to the Prompt Pot and sear for 5-7 minutes till caramelized and brown on the underside. Take away and put aside. Repeat with oil and the remainder of the meat cubes. Take away and put aside with already browned beef.
Add the chopped onion and garlic to the pot, and saute till they start to melt and switch brown. (It will occur in simply 2-3 minutes as a result of your pot is already so scorching!)
Add the meat broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and tomato paste. Stir briefly to mix, then cancel the “Saute” mode in your Prompt Pot.
Add the caramelized beef again to the pot, then carrots, potatoes, and candy potatoes (if including them) Just remember to lower the veggies in massive items, in any other case they’ll breakdown an excessive amount of and switch mushy. For those who select so as to add the candy potato will breakdown regardless and is supposed so as to add thickness and taste to the stew base.
Put the lid on and set the valve to seal. Push the “Handbook” or “Excessive Stress” button in your Prompt Pot, and set the timer for 25 minutes.
When the timer beeps, let the pot depressurize naturally for about ten minutes. After 10 minutes, flip the valve to launch the remaining stress, then open the lid rigorously. Add the frozen peas.
If you would like a thicker stew, make a cornstarch slurry by whisking cornstarch and water collectively. Stir into the stew, and press ‘saute’ and let it simmer for a couple of minutes to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to style. Serve heat with crusty bread or rolls. Take pleasure in!
Warmth olive oil in a big skillet over medium-high warmth. Add stew meat, and cook dinner till evenly browned on the skin. Switch meat to a gradual cooker.
Peel and chop the carrots, potatoes and candy potatoes into 3/4-inch thick items, and add them to the gradual cooker together with the garlic, onion, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and thyme.
Cowl and set the Crockpot to Low, and cook dinner for 8 hours, or excessive for five hours. Meat needs to be fork tender.
In a small bowl, combine the corn starch with 1 tablespoon of chilly water to make a slurry. Pour it into the recent stew and stir till thickened.
Stir in frozen peas till heated via. Serve and luxuriate in!
Energy: 322kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 20g | Fats: 12g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 544mg | Potassium: 1146mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 15773IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 4mg
I am a registered dietitian, mother of 4, avid lover of meals and robust promoter of wholesome habits. Right here one can find a lot of scrumptious recipes filled with fruits and veggies, suggestions for getting your children to eat higher and turn out to be intuitive eaters and plenty of sources for feeding your loved ones.