Curry is a complete scrumptious world, and considered one of its friendliest members is Panang Curry. Wealthy and barely candy, it’s peanuty, not-too-spicy, and glorious, whether or not you’re on the lookout for a starter curry or one to make an previous favourite.
“Curry” is a catch-all title for a style of Thai dishes comprised of greens, protein, and herbs simmered in a posh sauce made out of coconut milk and curry paste.
Curry pastes differ in shade, taste, and depth of spice.
- Inexperienced curry, like this Chickpea Curry is distinctly herbaceous and citrusy.
- Pink curry dishes like Thai Curry Hen are often spicier. The style of the chilis and spices (like galangal, an in depth relative of ginger and turmeric) stand out, versus the sturdy herbs in inexperienced curry. Pink curry is essentially the most versatile.
- Panang curry is similar to purple curry, however it’s much less spicy and has the addition of floor peanuts. Panang curry sauce can be often thicker and sweeter than purple curry.
The decrease spice profile and infusion of peanuts make panang curry sauce one of the vital accessible and pleasant curries, particularly in case you are new to Thai meals.
- Whereas the precise components and ratios will range by model, panang curry paste is made from dried chili peppers, lemongrass, kaffir lime, coriander, cumin, and galangal, amongst different components.
Panang curry paste is what you’ll see in genuine panang curry recipes, however it’s considerably tough to search out within the U.S.
- A fantastic substitute for panang curry is purple curry, as a result of the 2 style fairly comparable.
Thus, I opted to make this panang curry with an easy-to-find purple curry paste that I doctored with peanut butter, Worcestershire, and a pinch of sugar to imitate the distinct parts that make panang curry particular.
The right way to Make Panang Curry
Because of the supply of purple curry paste and coconut milk, making panang curry at dwelling is simpler than you assume!
This panang curry is full of vibrant greens, and you’ll bulk it up with any protein you get pleasure from.
- I opted for a panang curry hen, however be at liberty to swap it for beef.
- Or for a vegetarian panang curry recipe, add Crispy Tofu, Air Fryer Tofu, or a can of chickpeas like on this Coconut Curry.
Serve panang curry with brown rice or cauliflower rice, and you’ve got a whole, all-in-one meal.
Panang curry isn’t notably spicy, so when you choose yours hotter, I recommend including purple pepper flakes or extra purple curry paste.
- Hen. Tender chunks of hen breast or thighs keep moist and flavorful within the curry. The hen packs this dish stuffed with protein, serving to make it extra satisfying.
- Thai Pink Curry Paste. Pink curry paste is liable for a lot of this curry’s deep taste. There is no such thing as a substitute. Fortuitously it is extremely straightforward to search out and most main grocery shops.
- Greens. Carrots and purple bell peppers add lovely shade, texture, and diet. Carrots and purple bell peppers are wealthy in nutritional vitamins.
- Mild Coconut Milk. Helps make the curry creamy and flavorful. I used mild coconut milk as a wholesome swap.
- Basil. If you’ll find Thai basil, I like to recommend utilizing it for this recipe. Nonetheless, common basil will work too.
- Bamboo Shoots. Delightfully crunchy with a barely candy and earthy taste. You’ll discover them canned within the Asian or worldwide meals aisle.
- Peanut Butter. For a contact of peanut butter taste that additionally helps thicken the curry.
- Soy Sauce + Fish Sauce. These staples of Asian cooking are bursting with umami goodness.
- Worcestershire. One other addition to the umami crew.
- Coconut Sugar. Provides a contact of sweetness to stability the spice. In case you don’t have coconut sugar readily available, brown sugar will work too.
- Lime. As an alternative of kaffir lime leaves, that are in genuine recipes however more durable to search out, I used common lime zest and juice
- Sauté the onion.
- Stir within the curry paste.
- Add the coconut milk and basil, then carry the combination to a boil.
- Stir within the carrots and bell peppers.
- Add the hen, bamboo shoots, peanut butter, fish sauce, Worcestershire, and sugar. Let simmer.
- Take away the curry from the warmth, stirring within the lime zest and juice. Function desired and ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm curry in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low warmth or within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftovers in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day upfront, chop the greens and hen. Refrigerate every ingredient in a separate hermetic storage container till you’re prepared to complete the recipe.
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Greatest Dutch Oven
This Dutch oven will take you from stovetop to oven to tabletop. It is available in a wide range of lovely colours and can final a lifetime.
Thai recipes like panang curry encourage me within the kitchen.
I hope this recipe brings a style of freshness and pleasure to your desk too.
Continuously Requested Questions
Sure, you’ll be able to simply adapt this recipe to be vegetarian. Omit the Worcestershire and swap the hen for a 15-ounce can of chickpeas or your meatless protein of selection.
If it’s worthwhile to make this recipe soy free, you’ll be able to swap the soy sauce for coconut aminos or tamari.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or canola oil
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons Thai purple curry paste
- 3 medium carrots peeled and minimize into ¼-inch cash
- 2 purple bell peppers sliced into skinny strips
- 2 (14-ounce) cans mild coconut milk for a extra decadent curry, use one can common and one can mild
- 2 giant leafy sprigs Thai basil or common basil plus further leaves for serving
- 1 1/2 kilos boneless, skinless hen breasts or thighs minimize into bite-sized items or swap 1 (15-ounce) can rinsed and drained chickpeas
- 1 (8-ounce) can bamboo shoots drained
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or further low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce omit to make vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 medium limes zest and juice, divided (about 1 ½ teaspoons zest and ¼ cup juice)
- Cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice or quinoa for serving
- Chopped unsalted roasted peanuts for serving
In a Dutch oven or comparable giant, deep, sturdy pot, warmth the oil over medium warmth. Add the onion and sauté till it’s softened and turning translucent, about 5 minutes
Add the purple curry paste and stir in a short time to coat the onion.
Add the coconut milk and basil and convey to a boil. Proceed to boil, stirring periodically, till considerably thickened, about 8 minutes.
Add the carrot and bell peppers. Boil and stir for five minutes extra.
Scale back the warmth to medium-low and add the hen, bamboo shoots, peanut butter, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and coconut sugar. Simmer, stirring usually, till hen is cooked by, about 4 to six minutes.
Take away from the warmth. Stir within the lime zest and juice. Serve sizzling with rice and a sprinkle of chopped peanuts and basil.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm curry in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low warmth or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze leftovers in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 6), with out rice or peanutsEnergy: 371kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 28gFats: 19gSaturated Fats: 13gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 3gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 73mgPotassium: 766mgFiber: 4gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 7606IUVitamin C: 63mgCalcium: 53mgIron: 2mg
Be part of immediately and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.