Time so as to add a bit pizzazz to your grain sport! This fast and simple Moroccan Couscous recipe is a refreshing change of tempo from the usual facet.
- This traditional Moroccan-style couscous recipe cooks in quarter-hour (this Roasted Vegetable Salad is one other fast couscous recipe).
- Just a few easy touches, like refined spices, golden raisins, and pine nuts, make it style particular sufficient to serve at a vacation meal.
One in every of my most vivid post-college reminiscences is of a pal cooking a Moroccan-themed dinner for a giant group.
She piled spiced couscous excessive on a big platter, topped with the spiced Moroccan Meatballs and Oven Roasted Greens, and we ate it on the ground, scooping our servings from the communal plate (these had been the times!).
That meal made fairly the impression. I’ve been smitten with Moroccan-style meals and flavors ever since.
5 Star Evaluate
“Simply made this tonight. The meal was pretty much as good as something present in a restaurant.”
— Peg —
Couscous is a staple dish in lots of North African nations together with Morocco, a rustic I dream of visiting at some point.
- Whereas it resembles a tiny grain of rice or quinoa, couscous is pasta.
- It’s constituted of semolina (semolina is a flour constituted of durum wheat and is utilized in most conventional sorts of pasta) and water.
As a result of it’s so small, couscous recipes cook dinner in a matter of minutes, making it a superb selection for a last-minute facet.
Because it cooks on the stovetop, it retains your oven free for different endeavors.
Learn how to Make a Moroccan Couscous Recipe
Fortuitously, we don’t want to go to Morocco to take pleasure in a serving of couscous (or Crock Pot Moroccan Rooster).
This couscous recipe takes inspiration from Moroccan delicacies and elements however is delicate sufficient to serve with all kinds of mains.
- Couscous. Fast-cooking and engaging, I prefer to buy complete wheat couscous. Like different whole-grain choices, it’s larger in protein and fiber than its white counterparts. (Do that Avocado Couscous Grapefruit Salad subsequent.)
- Shallot. Beginning the recipe by sautéing a shallot provides the whole dish a extra strong, full taste.
- Golden Raisins. A preferred ingredient in Moroccan cooking, golden raisins (additionally on this Moroccan Chickpea Salad) give the couscous recipe bits of sweetness and make it extra texturally attention-grabbing.
- Pine Nuts. One other traditional ingredient in Moroccan delicacies, pine nuts add pops of nutty depth and crunch. (I additionally love pine nuts on this Sluggish Cooker Wild Rice Pilaf.)
- Lemon and Parsley. These two conventional Moroccan elements give this straightforward couscous recipe freshness, shade, and life.
- Cumin. Moroccan delicacies is very famend for its spices. This recipe retains the spices pretty delicate in order that the couscous pairs effectively with quite a lot of dishes. A contact of cumin is all you want.
- Toast the pine nuts in a skillet over low warmth.
Watch them fastidiously, as they burn simply.
- Sauté the shallots, add the spices, and pour within the broth. Carry the combination to a boil, then take away from the warmth.
- Add the couscous, cowl, and let it steam. Fluff the couscous with a fork and end by stirring within the mix-ins. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Place leftover couscous in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm leftovers in a big skillet on the range over medium-low warmth. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten the flavors. You may also reheat this dish within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Let the couscous cool utterly, then retailer it in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 2 days forward of time, put together this couscous recipe as directed, cowl, and refrigerate it. Serve it heat or at room temperature.
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Baking Sheets. These sizes are perfect for spreading out and toasting the nuts.
- Versatile Saucepan. This one is a really helpful dimension for cooking grains and with correct care can final a lifetime.
- Citrus Juicer. The BEST solution to juice any citrus fruit. You’ll be amazed how a lot juice it may well squeeze from each lemon.
The Finest Saucepan
This All-Clad saucepan is made with a number of layers of chrome steel and aluminum for high-quality sturdiness and even warmth distribution.
For a recipe that can shock and delight, all with little or no effort in your half, this Moroccan couscous recipe doesn’t disappoint.
In case you attempt it, please depart a remark and let me know what you suppose!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Sometimes, pearl couscous must simmer and be cooked extra like common pasta noodles, (moderately than eradicating it from the warmth and leaving lined to steam). For finest outcomes, seek the advice of the bundle path of your pearl couscous and adapt the cooking time and methodology accordingly. For extra steerage, see this Israeli Couscous Salad recipe.
Certain! Whereas I’ve not tried this personally, I think about it could be a scrumptious adaptation. Observe the cooking time and methodology might must be adjusted primarily based on the cooking instructions on your quinoa. In case you resolve to experiment, I’d love to listen to about your ends in the feedback.
So far as energy go, couscous and most kinds of brown rice are pretty comparable. Each comprise related quantities of protein and fiber too. Nonetheless, in case you’re on the lookout for a wholesome change of tempo out of your normal facet of brown rice, couscous is a superb various to attempt (as is Farro Risotto).
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or swap pistachios or slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter use coconut oil or vegan butter to make vegan
- 1 small shallot chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon floor cumin
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or hen broth
- 1 cup complete wheat couscous
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped contemporary parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil use the good things right here!
Preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Unfold the pine nuts in a single layer on an ungreased, rimmed baking sheet. Toast within the oven till aromatic and frivolously golden, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring as soon as midway by. Regulate them and DO NOT WALK AWAY throughout the previous few minutes to ensure these treasured pine nuts don’t burn. Instantly switch them to a bowl to cease their cooking and to ensure the recent pan does not burn them as soon as they’re out of the oven.
In a big skillet, soften the butter over medium warmth. Add the shallots and cook dinner for 3 minutes, till they start to melt. Add the salt, pepper, and cumin and cook dinner for 30 seconds.
Pour within the broth. Enhance the warmth to excessive and produce it to a boil. As quickly because the liquid begins to boil, take away the pan from the warmth. Stir within the couscous, cowl, and let sit for 10 minutes.
With a fork, fluff up the couscous. Add the raisins, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, and toasted pine nuts to the pot, then stir the elements collectively to mix. Style and regulate seasoning as desired. Take pleasure in scorching.
- TO STORE: Place leftover couscous in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Gently rewarm leftovers in a big skillet on the range over medium-low warmth. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten the flavors. You may also reheat this dish within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Let the couscous cool utterly, then retailer it in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 6)Energy: 272kcalCarbohydrates: 42gProtein: 7gFats: 11gSaturated Fats: 3gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 4gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 10mgPotassium: 130mgFiber: 5gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 331IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 27mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of at the moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.