By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Patradana means protecting with leaves. It is a distinctive measure adopted in protecting the injuries / ulcers on which the medicinal pastes are utilized. Over the leaves the bandaging of wounds and ulcers are executed. This methodology of surgical dressing has been defined within the context of Shashti Upakrama i.e. 60 sorts of remedy defined by Grasp Sushruta within the first chapter of Chikitsa Sthana part. All these 60 remedies are helpful for treating the ulcers and likewise to forestall their problems. These 60 sorts of remedies are included in 7 kinds of remedies referred to as Sapta Upakrama which Sushruta has talked about within the Sutra Sthana Part (Chapter 17).
Vaikrutapaha is the seventh remedy amongst these 7 remedies. Vaikrutapaha means eradicating the deformities brought on by the ulcers and wounds. It is a sort of beauty rebuilding of the ulcer space and to advertise therapeutic in a complete means. Vaikrutapaha includes of 26 sorts of remedies amongst which Patradana is one.
Learn – Sushruta’s 7 Kinds of Remedies Sapta Upakrama
Beneath talked about are the circumstances by which the ulcers / wounds should be coated with leaves –
- Sthiranam – motionless ulcers / wounds
- Alpa mamsanam – ulcers / wounds coated with much less muscular tissues, the muscular tissues would have gotten destroyed as a result of ulcers / wounds as a complication
- Raukshyaad anuparohataam – wounds / ulcers which haven’t healed as a result of excessive dryness in them
Within the above stated circumstances the ulcers / wounds are coated by the leaves. That is executed in accordance to the doshas concerned and the prevailing seasons. Leaves having medicinal properties shall be coated on the injuries after having utilized medicinal pastes on them.
Within the above talked about circumstances, first the medicinal pastes are utilized on the ulcer / wound. Subsequent the ulcer / wound on which the medicinal paste has been utilized are coated with leaves such that the leaves cowl the paste.
Learn – Avasechana Technique of Wound Care: That means, Varieties, Scientific Significance
Kinds of leaves
a. In ulcers brought on by vitiated vata – the beneath talked about leaves are used for protecting –
- Eranda Patra – leaves of Ricinus communis (castor)
- Bhurja Patra – leaves of Betula utilis
- Karanja Patra – leaves of Pongamia pinnata
- Haridra Patra – leaves of Curcuma longa (turmeric)
b. In ulcers brought on by vitiated pitta and blood – the beneath talked about leaves are used for protecting –
- Ashvabala Patra – leaves of Medicago sativa
- Kashmari (Gambhari) Patra – Gmelina arborea
- Kshiri Vrksha Patrani – leaves of latex yielding crops / timber
- Audaka Patra – leaves of crops rising in water (like lotus and so on)
c. In ulcers brought on by vitiated kapha – the beneath talked about leaves are used for protecting –
Qualities of leaves that are used for protecting the ulcers and wounds
- Akarkasha – not tough
- Avichchinnam – not torn
- Ajirnam – not outdated (ought to be contemporary)
- Sukumarakam – tender
- Ajantu jagdham – not infested with worms and bugs
- Mrdu – easy
Leaves used to cowl the injuries / ulcers – Causes and advantages
The beneath talked about ought to be utilized on the ulcer / wound from inside out –
- Medicinal paste instantly utilized over the ulcer
- Leaves having medicinal property positioned over the medicinal paste
- Bandage tied over the leaves
If the leaves will not be positioned in between the paste of drugs and bandage fabric, the fat and essence of medicines within the paste would come into direct contact with the bandage fabric and get wasted. To stop the lack of fat and medicinal essence the leaves are layered between the paste and bandage fabric. Leaves are additionally utilized on the anointment / medicinal paste for inducing chilly or warmth as per want and to forestall lack of fat within the medicinal pastes as stated above.