Splendidly comfortable and scrumptious, lavash bread is the right clean canvas for all of your spiced Mediterranean and Center Jap dishes. Made with solely six pantry staples, it’ll be in your desk in 20 minutes.
Do-it-yourself Lavash Bread Recipe
Easy but homey and flavorful, this fast lavash bread might be in your desk and served together with your favourite spiced meals in 20 minutes.
Made with pantry staples, it’s the right flatbread recipe so as to add a little bit of custom to your weekday meals. Better of all, it doesn’t should really feel like an entire bread-making journey. Full of cheats for an extremely clean dough and further taste, this lavash may be your entryway to do-it-yourself flatbreads.
Simply ready prematurely and frozen, protecting a batch in your freezer for later might be a lifesaver— particularly on hectic weeks. After seeing how splendidly comfortable and flexible it’s, you’re by no means returning to store-bought ones once more.
What Is Lavash Bread?
Lavash is a flatbread, identical to naan or pita bread. It’s widespread within the Caucasian, Caspian Sea, and West Asia areas like Armenia and Turkey. It’s sometimes made in a “tandoor,” a conventional cylindrical clay and dust oven the place the breads are caught to the partitions for baking. Lavash is comfortable and could be folded simply to make sandwiches and wraps. It’s also much less doughy and chewy than, say, tortillas and pita breads.
The substances are easy: flour, water, yeast, sugar, and salt. Relying on the area, totally different aromatics and spices could be added to provide it further taste. For probably the most half, nevertheless, lavash is comparatively plain as a result of it’s speculated to be paired with spiced Mediterranean and Center Jap meals.
Is Lavash Low Carb?
No. Lavash bread isn’t low-carb as a result of it’s made with wheat flour. It must be made with coconut flour, almond flour, Psyllium husk powder, or other forms of non-wheat flour for lavash to be low in carbohydrates.
What’s The Distinction Between Lavash and Flatbread?
Lavash is a sort of pita or flatbread, although flatbread is the class of this skinny bread itself. Lavash doesn’t essentially should be leavened, however this recipe does make them further fluffy. Remember that all flatbreads could be spherical or oval-shaped with out being completely round or rectangular.
Lavash dough is rolled out thinly in order that, because it cooks, it puffs up with out changing into too dense. It’s served heat as a aspect dish and is even used to wrap all types of meals in a naan or taco-like vogue.
This lavash solely requires 6 fundamental substances. Test the recipe card on the backside of the submit for full ingredient quantities.
- Bread flour – All-purpose flour works too.
- Granulated sugar – Please don’t use darkish brown sugar for this.
- Immediate yeast – Lively dry yeast works too.
- Cooking spray
You can also make a further three sorts of yummy lavash with a few aromatics, a change of liquid, and a distinct flour.
- Add extra taste. Evenly brush the raw lavash with olive oil and sprinkle every bread with 1/2 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic and parsley on either side. Prepare dinner them as standard.
- Use whole-wheat. Complete wheat flour will make your flatbread more healthy and provides it an earthier taste.
- Add milk. Swapping the water for milk offers you a a lot richer taste.
Tips on how to Make Lavash Bread
Making lavash is sort of a cross between bread and tortillas. Give it a go!
- Make the dough. Add all of the substances (besides the cooking spray) to a big mixing bowl. Stir every thing collectively utilizing a picket spoon. When you get a free dough, take away it from the bowl and place it on a evenly floured floor.
- Knead it. Knead the dough, urgent it away from you after which rolling it again in, for 7-12 minutes or till good and clean. If the dough is sticking to the counter an excessive amount of, add 1 teaspoon of additional flour at a time till it’s not sticky.
- Let it relaxation. Roll the dough right into a ball. In the event you press your finger into it, it ought to bounce again. Place it in a big bowl and canopy it with a clear kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Let it relaxation in a heat spot for 1-2 hours or till doubled in dimension.
- Portion it. Take away it from the bowl and place the dough on a evenly floured floor. Part the dough into 6-8 even items. The extra items, the smaller your lavash will prove. Roll every bit right into a ball. Cowl them with a clear kitchen towel.
- Flatten it. Use a floured rolling pin to flatten them out into giant circles. They need to be skinny, like tortillas or pasta. The thinner every lavash is, the extra pliable it will likely be as soon as cooked. Thicker lavash bread is simply as yummy however they don’t fold properly and take longer to cook dinner.
- Prepare dinner it. Warmth a medium pan over medium warmth. Evenly grease it with cooking spray. Place one lavash within the pan at a time. Allow them to cook dinner for 16-25 seconds on all sides, or till evenly golden. Don’t allow them to burn.
- Serve. Take away them from the warmth instantly and serve them heat.
Suggestions for Making Armenian Lavash
With the following tips, you’ll be making this fuss-free flatbread very quickly:
- Velocity up the method. In case your dough isn’t rising, be certain it’s in a heat-proof bowl. Then preheat the oven to 200˚F for 10 minutes and switch it off. Place the bowl inside (be certain it’s not coated in plastic wrap) and let it rise with the residual warmth. It needs to be prepared inside 20 to 40 minutes.
- Use scorching water. That is typically swapped for chilly or room-temperature water, however I don’t suggest it. The dough might be stiff, not supple. All the time use scorching water if you wish to keep away from any points with the dough.
- Don’t use unrisen dough. By no means attempt to work with unrisen dough. The climate gained’t all the time be in your favor, however simply be affected person and let the dough rise. If it hasn’t risen, your bread might be stiff.
- Test the yeast. All the time verify the expiration date in your yeast except you need to spend hours ready for a dough that’ll by no means rise.
This recipe is nice with Mediterranean and Arab-inspired sides and mains like baked hen or gentle salads. I adore it with my Jennifer Aniston’s Bulgur Salad and shredded leftover Rooster Marbella to make tasty tacos.
You can even pair it with my Spinach Artichoke Rooster Breasts, Artichoke Rooster, and Traditional Baked Rooster Items. For salad choices, attempt my Spring Vegetable Potato Salad with Lemon Dijon French dressing, Bacon, Crab and Avocado Salad with Inexperienced Onion Yogurt Salad Dressing, and Olives and Avocado Salad with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese.
Tips on how to Retailer
As soon as totally cooled, you possibly can retailer it at room temperature, within the fridge, or within the freezer for later.
- At room temperature: place them in paper bag for as much as 2 days or in a paper towel-lined hermetic container for as much as 3 days.
- Fridge: hold them in an hermetic container for as much as every week. In case it hardens and turns into just a little stale, sprinkle them with a teaspoon of water earlier than reheating to assist soften them up.
- Freezer: pop them right into a freezer-friendly bag or container. Freeze for as much as 6 months. Thaw them in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Reheat it by putting the flatbread on a heat griddle or skillet for 1 to 2 minutes on all sides or till comfortable and pliable once more. You can even sprinkle them with a number of drops of water and pop them into the microwave for as much as 20 seconds or till heat.
Extra Do-it-yourself Bread Recipes
Whisk collectively the bread flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a big mixing bowl. Add the new water and stir every thing collectively utilizing a picket spoon.
When you get a free dough, take away it from the bowl and place it on a evenly floured floor.
Knead the dough, urgent it away from you after which rolling it again in for 7 to 12 minutes or till good and clean.
Roll the dough right into a ball. Place it in a big bowl and canopy it with a clear kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Let it relaxation in a heat spot for 1 to 2 hours or till doubled in dimension.
Take away it from the bowl and place the dough on a evenly floured floor. Part the dough into 6 to eight even items. The extra items, the smaller your lavash will prove.
Roll every bit of dough right into a ball. Cowl them with a clear kitchen towel.
Then, working with one dough ball at a time, flatten them out into giant circles utilizing a floured rolling pin. They need to be skinny, like tortillas.
Warmth a medium pan over medium warmth. Evenly grease it with cooking spray. Place one lavash within the pan at a time. Allow them to cook dinner for 15 to 25 seconds on all sides or till evenly golden.
Take away them from the skillet and hold coated whereas cooking the remainder.
- Kneading: Historically, kneading the dough by hand is the best way to make genuine Lavash, however you may also use your mixer. Kneading in a mixer for two minutes is equal to kneading for about 10 minutes by hand. When completed kneading, the dough ought to really feel supple and comfortable however not sticky.
- Dough: Let the dough rise. If it hasn’t risen, the bread might be stiff. Additionally, all the time hold the dough balls coated whereas rolling out the remainder.
- When the lavash is cooked, switch it to a plate and hold them coated whereas working with the remainder.
- Taste: Add extra taste by evenly brushing the raw lavash with olive oil and sprinkling it with minced garlic and parsley.
- Complete Wheat Flour: You need to use entire wheat flour, however use 50 % whole-wheat and 50 % bread flour to keep away from a dense consequence.
Serving: 1 g | Energy: 175 kcal | Carbohydrates: 35 g | Protein: 6 g | Fats: 1 g | Saturated Fats: 0.1 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.3 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 0.1 g | Sodium: 294 mg | Potassium: 61 mg | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 0.5 g | Vitamin A: 1 IU | Vitamin C: 0.01 mg | Calcium: 9 mg | Iron: 0.5 mg | Web Carbs: 33 g
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might fluctuate in keeping with the substances and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.