Deliciously tart and vivid, this Jamaican Sorrel Drink served on the rocks is a good deal with to chill off on sizzling summer season days. Warmly spiced and full of fruity, floral notes, it’s the right icy drink.
Simple Jamaican Hibiscus Drink
Tangy and refreshing, this Jamaican sorrel is full of heat spices and tropical flavors. Served on the rocks, each sip will really feel like a floral, fruity, citrusy journey to your favourite Caribbean nation. Better of all, it’s prepared in quarter-hour! Minus the nippiness time.
As soon as the cinnamon, cloves, and different spices have made buddies within the pot, it’s solely minutes earlier than you’re chilling and serving this conventional Jamaican hibiscus punch. Spike the drink with some rum, or add a black tea bag to make issues extra attention-grabbing.
Sweetened with darkish brown sugar, it’s obtained all of the molasses-like perspective of typical Caribbean sweeteners— however you possibly can at all times add just a little sugar cane too! Garnished with orange wedges for a pop of shade, this vivid crimson drink will grow to be a favourite at each gathering, whether or not Christmas or summer season.
What’s Sorrel Juice?
Sorrel juice, additionally referred to as Jamaican hibiscus punch, is a well-liked spiced drink in Jamaica and different Caribbean international locations from Christmas to New 12 months’s Eve. It’s a seasonal drink, though the components to make it can be found year-round.
It’s made with sorrel (dried hibiscus flowers) and a mix of heat spices like star anise, cloves, allspice, and cinnamon. Conventional sweeteners like darkish brown sugar or cane sugar are used for sweetness.
For this Jamaican sorrel, I’ve used a mixture of complete and floor spices for the best hibiscus punch doable. Try the recipe card on the backside of the publish for actual ingredient quantities.
- Orange peel
- Dried hibiscus: There isn’t any substitute for this because it’s the place the drink’s taste comes from. In case you can’t discover it on the grocery retailer, you possibly can virtually at all times discover it in Mexican supermarkets beneath the identify “jamaica.”
- Star anise: Don’t use floor star anise.
- Entire cloves: Don’t use floor cloves.
- Floor allspice
- Floor cinnamon: You may also use 1/2 a cinnamon stick.
- Floor ginger: Be happy to substitute it for a 1/2″ piece of contemporary ginger.
- Darkish brown sugar: Uncooked honey, piloncillo, and coconut sugar are nice substitutes. If doable, keep away from white granulated sugar.
- Orange wedges: Apple or pineapple wedges are good garnish choices, too.
The way to Make Sorrel Drink
Don’t fear; making Jamaican sorrel is as simple as making tea or an infusion.
- Add the peel. Carry the water to a boil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high warmth. Add the orange peel and cut back the warmth to medium. Let it simmer for two minutes.
- Add the hibiscus. Mix the hibiscus, star anise, complete cloves, and allspice within the pot. Stir and let the combination simmer for five minutes. Place the cinnamon and ginger inside. Combine to mix.
- Add the sugar. Stir within the brown sugar to style and blend till it has totally dissolved. Let the combination simmer for an additional 3 minutes. Take away it from the warmth.
- Pressure it. Pressure the punch to take away the spices, hibiscus, and orange peel. Pour it into a big pitcher or an hermetic container.
- Chill it. Let it relaxation for half-hour or till it comes right down to room temperature. It can be lukewarm, however not sizzling, or the ice will soften while you serve it. Don’t refrigerate it earlier than it’s fully cooled.
- Serve. Add ice to serving glasses and pour within the punch. Garnish with orange wedges, and revel in.
Recipe Ideas & Variations
Observe the following tips and variations to make extraordinarily yummy Jamaican sorrel:
- Let it sit. In case you’d like an additional concentrated spice taste, don’t pressure it. Let it come to room temperature after which refrigerate it as ordinary. Leaving within the spices for longer will permit them to launch extra taste. Pressure earlier than serving.
- Spike it. Add white rum to style and provides your drink just a little boozy kick. I like to recommend 1/2 tablespoon of rum in every serving to maintain issues from turning into overwhelming.
- Add tea. Add a black tea bag whereas the punch is simmering for an infusion-like drink. Take away it while you pressure every thing.
- Freeze it. Pour the cooled sorrel into ice dice trays. Freeze it in a single day. Mix the ice cubes to make a frappuccino-like drink or perhaps a shaved ice snack.
- Add sugar cane. Chopping a 7″ piece of sugar cane into smaller items and including them to the punch because it simmers may add plenty of pure sweetness and provide you with one thing to chew on whereas having fun with the drink.
Ought to Jamaican Hibiscus Punch Be Served Heat or Chilly?
Conventional Jamaican sorrel is served chilled over ice for a refreshing drink. Nevertheless, it’s additionally nice when served heat on chilly nights. Give it a go!
The way to Retailer Jamaican Sorrel
- As soon as cooled, refrigerate this Jamaican sorrel in an hermetic container or a pitcher for as much as 5 days. If utilizing a pitcher, maintain it lined and away from strong-smelling meals like onions to keep away from the switch of odors.
- If, at any level earlier than the 5 days, it begins to foam or turns barely viscous, discard it instantly.
Extra Refreshing Drink Recipes
Carry the water to a boil in a medium-sized pot set over medium-high warmth. Add the orange peel and cut back the warmth to medium. Let it simmer for two minutes.
Stir within the hibiscus, star anise, complete cloves, and allspice into the pot. Stir and let the combination simmer for five minutes. Add within the cinnamon and ginger, and blend to mix.
Whisk within the brown sugar and blend till it has totally dissolved. Let the combination simmer for an additional 3 minutes. Take away it from the warmth.
Utilizing a positive mesh strainer, pressure the punch to take away the spices, hibiscus, and orange peel. Then, pour the drink into a big glass pitcher or an hermetic container.
Let it relaxation for half-hour or till it comes right down to room temperature.
Add ice to consuming glasses and pour the punch over the ice.
Garnish with orange wedges and serve.
- Dried Hibiscus is the star of the drink, so in the event you can’t discover it at your native grocery retailer, you may get it from Amazon or see if they’ve it at your nearest import/export shops.
- Brown Sugar: You possibly can substitute with uncooked honey, piloncillo, and coconut sugar. Keep away from utilizing granulated sugar.
- For a extra concentrated taste, refrigerate the drink with out straining out the spices. Leaving the spices within the drink for longer will permit them to launch extra taste—pressure earlier than serving.
- Alcohol: For a boozy drink, add white rum.
Energy: 74 kcal | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Protein: 0.1 g | Fats: 0.1 g | Saturated Fats: 0.01 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.02 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 0.03 g | Sodium: 23 mg | Potassium: 51 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 17 g | Vitamin A: 190 IU | Vitamin C: 4 mg | Calcium: 39 mg | Iron: 0.4 mg | Internet Carbs: 18 g
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might range in keeping with the components and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.