When your world is turned upside-down with concern of an unknown future, right here is how I cling to religion in uncertainty and lean into God throughout these seasons.
I awakened this morning and every part was nice.
I’m 38 1/2 weeks pregnant with our wholesome, energetic child boy. The solar was shining and birds have been chirping as Boots and I went on our regular morning stroll.
We’d simply arrived again residence and I used to be sitting on the entrance steps, having fun with the gorgeous Colorado morning once I obtained a name from my husband, Adam.
The primary phrases out of his mouth have been, “I’ve some unlucky information.”
And, instantly, I braced myself for no matter could be coming subsequent.
“The corporate is doing short-term lay-offs efficient tomorrow and I used to be the final one on the listing to be laid off.”
This was fully out of the blue. There had been no discussions about finances cuts or anything. There was no warning in any respect earlier than this.
My coronary heart began beating quicker and my thoughts began racing.
“So…what does that imply so far as well being insurance coverage?” I requested.
“It might be terminated instantly,” he reluctantly replied.
And my coronary heart sank.
Shedding medical insurance and his earnings per week and a half earlier than my due date was not in our plans!
There is no such thing as a timeline for these “short-term” lay-offs. They may final 2 weeks, 2 months, or a yr. No one is aware of proper now.
Happily, that wasn’t the top of our story immediately. As a result of he was the final on the listing to be let go, he was provided one accessible place that they had accessible in Wyoming. There might be a pay lower and a commute concerned, however he’ll nonetheless have a job and we’ll nonetheless have medical insurance.
I used to be so grateful, however, even with finally getting that excellent news, my feelings had already been despatched right into a tailspin.
Sinking Into The What-Ifs Vs Staying Rooted In The What-Is
I understand how lucky we’re. There have been 8 different males on his crew alone (and lots of extra throughout the state) who simply misplaced their jobs with none discover in any respect.
However, truthfully, I didn’t really feel lucky in that second.
I felt scared.
My thoughts was reeling with all the what-ifs.
What would we’ve finished dropping medical insurance once I may ship at any time? Would I nonetheless have the ability to see my physician? Would we have the ability to afford the supply and care we would wish on the hospital? Can we even have the time to determine any of those solutions out?
It was so disturbing to think about all the prospects.
However I had sunk into the what-ifs as an alternative of staying rooted within the actuality of what-is.
Was it scary to think about the opportunity of dropping his earnings and advantages in a break up second? In fact it was!
However that wasn’t my actuality. That wasn’t my fact.
Certain, there are adjustments that we’re going to want to regulate to. We don’t even know what all of these adjustments might be but!
However the fact is, he nonetheless has his job. He nonetheless has advantages.
Worrying about what may have occurred isn’t serving to anybody proper now.
So, I had a alternative. I may maintain letting myself spiral or I could possibly be extra proactive about my response.
I’ve confronted this dilemma earlier than. Within the uncertainty of an emotionally abusive marriage and finally a divorce, I had many alternatives to decide on religion or concern.
Proper after Adam and I obtained married, we handled a automotive accident, sudden medical payments, debt, and a job loss. As a lot as I want it have been, life shouldn’t be at all times secure or predictable.
I haven’t at all times chosen effectively in uncertainty, however I do strive my greatest to cling to religion.
How I Cling To Religion in Uncertainty
#1 – Flip To God
My enterprise companion, Sara, has been doing an exquisite sequence known as Religion Over Concern with each day Bible readings and movies this month.
As quickly as I hung up the cellphone with Adam, I pulled up her video for the morning as a result of I may really feel myself spiraling a bit and I knew I wanted some Fact to hold onto.
I’m not saying that was a simple or pure first step.
Sure, I knew I wanted some Fact, however what I felt like doing was going again to mattress, letting my thoughts go haywire, calling associates to complain and get sympathy, and grabbing a bag of chocolate (sure, at 7:30am…even after dropping 100 kilos and sustaining it for years, operating to meals for consolation and distraction continues to be a temptation!).
However I do know myself effectively sufficient to know that simply permitting myself to comply with what I really feel like doing within the second may do extra hurt than good and lead me to self-destruction.
I didn’t get to decide on our scenario, however I do get to decide on how I reply to it.
What I did as an alternative to show to God:
- I learn Scripture. I watched Sara’s Religion Over Concern video and browse Psalm 121 alongside along with her.
- I wrote down 5 issues I’m grateful for. I strive to do that each single morning, but it surely was particularly necessary to redirect my ideas immediately. (For those who want some further assist getting began, I’ve 31 gratitude journal prompts right here.)
- I poured out my coronary heart to God in a written prayer in my journal. I’ve at all times been a giant feeler, feeling feelings very, very strongly. I’ve needed to be very intentional about permitting myself to completely really feel my emotions, but additionally not permitting them to overhaul me or information my choices. It’s a fragile steadiness that I don’t at all times get proper, however that’s at all times my purpose! (I’ve journal prompts to your quiet time, too!)
- I took my ideas captive. It didn’t occur instantly, however I began recognizing once I was needlessly worrying or believing issues that simply weren’t true. After I began imagining the what-ifs and drifting off into future ideas of how issues may worsen, I reeled my ideas again in and deliberately redirected them. (I take advantage of these 5 steps to take my ideas captive)
Throughout my prayer time, one thing in my coronary heart shifted.
The place my prayer began considerably frantic and fairly self-focused, it ended with an extended prayer and a deeply real coronary heart of compassion for the opposite males in his firm getting laid off with none discover and for the care of their households.
That usually occurs in my time with the Lord – my focus is shifted off of myself and onto others.
#2 – Lean Into Neighborhood
I discussed earlier that one among my temptations was to name my associates to complain about our scenario.
However after the heart-shift that occurs in my time with God, my purpose is not to complain or acquire sympathy (that’s why I very deliberately select to show to God BEFORE reaching out to family and friends!).
My purpose is to truthfully and brazenly share the scenario with the individuals closest to me in order that we will stroll by way of it collectively.
In these moments of uncertainty, individuals in my life supply me:
- Prayer. That is essentially the most treasured reward to me. I imagine within the energy of prayer and when my very own mind feels too scattered to hope, I do know I’ve individuals providing up requests to the Lord on my behalf.
- Help/encouraging phrases. I’m a phrases of affirmation individual, so listening to phrases of help and encouragement lifts me up in methods I can’t even describe. It not solely adjustments my temper, however my whole perspective on a scenario.
- Stability. Realizing that I’ve “my” individuals there may be such a consolation to me. When issues are altering and shifting and really feel unsure, it’s so reassuring to know that I’ve individuals there – generally providing to satisfy my bodily wants and generally simply saying, “I’m right here if you could discuss.”
#3 – Do What You Can & Let That Be Sufficient
In instances of uncertainty, there’s a temptation to take the burden of all the scenario in your shoulders. I really feel it each time.
I find yourself feeling like a failure once I can’t sort things which can be completely out of my management.
After I’ve turned to God and introduced in my help system, I do my greatest to separate the issues which can be inside my management from the issues which can be out of my management.
Then I do my greatest to focus my time and efforts on the sensible issues I can management.
- My angle (that is in all probability the largest one for me!)
- My schedule
- My finances
- My consuming
Something that I can select to alter to enhance the scenario, I’ll.
On the finish of the day, I can solely give my greatest and that’s ok.
Letting go of the issues which can be out of your management (like sudden job lay-offs) can relieve a lot of your burden.
And, in case you’re something like me, these issues are going to maintain sneaking into your ideas, so keep on guard and don’t enable your self to tackle the burden of issues that you are able to do nothing to alter (sadly, worrying doesn’t repair issues!).
After I’m going by way of these three steps, I do them repeatedly, as typically as I must. It positively takes intentionality, however it’s so price it to expertise the peace, consolation, and freedom that comes from leaning into the Lord throughout these instances.
Pin This Put up For Later!