Essentially the most cherished cookbook in my assortment is a spiral-bound, home-printed assortment of my grandma’s recipes. As we speak’s creamy Hen Stroganoff is impressed by her traditional stroganoff recipe.
Once I learn my grandma’s cookbook, I’m transported again to the hours I spent within the kitchen along with her and her traditional Midwestern cooking.
Her old style stroganoff is without doubt one of the recipes I keep in mind most.
You’ll see it recreated by way of Crockpot Beef Stroganoff, Prompt Pot Beef Stroganoff, and even Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff—unsure how she’s really feel about that one, however she was at all times open minded.
About this Floor Hen Stroganoff
This simple pasta recipe additionally shares my grandma’s practicality and good widespread sense.
She was a mom of 9 kids, and that meant dinner wanted to be reasonably priced, filling, and scrumptious.
My grandma’s recipes are decidedly unfussy, stick-to-your-ribs comforting, and can enchantment to even the pickiest of palettes—precisely what you’ll discover with this delicious rooster stroganoff from scratch.
(For one more crowd-pleasing favourite utilizing floor meat, take a look at this Selfmade Hamburger Helper.)
As an added bonus, this home made rooster stroganoff may be prepared in 25 minutes flat (like my kid-friendly Chili Mac).
5 Star Evaluate
“Superior recipe! Tremendous simple to make and really tasty. Creamy and scrumptious however nonetheless wholesome, which is nice.”
— Nicole —
How one can Make Wholesome Hen Stroganoff
As we speak’s recipe for a lightened-up, wholesome rooster stroganoff does range from my grandma’s more-decadent unique, however it maintains each little bit of its warming spirit and nostalgia.
It’s so fast and straightforward to prepare dinner from scratch, there’s no must make rooster stroganoff with cream of mushroom soup!
- Floor Hen. Utilizing lean floor rooster on this recipe is one in every of my favourite wholesome hacks. It’s nonetheless loads flavorful and works completely on this recipe.
- Mushrooms. This stroganoff sauce is manufactured from cremini mushrooms (button mushrooms would work too), giving it a complexity of taste that implies you spent hours making it, as a substitute of minutes. Mushrooms are full of antioxidants and fiber. (For extra mushroom consolation meals, do this Mushroom Risotto.)
- All-Function Flour. All-purpose flour makes stroganoff thicker. It helps create the luscious sauce that makes this dish ultra-comforting.
- Complete Wheat Egg Noodles. To maintain issues mild, I opted for whole-wheat egg noodles. They’ve a delicious texture and pair completely with the creamy sauce. (I additionally love whole-wheat pasta for this Hen Alfredo Bake.)
- 2% Greek Yogurt. Stroganoff sauce historically incorporates bitter cream, however I desire to make use of Greek yogurt as a wholesome swap. Together with the flour, Greek yogurt makes stroganoff thicker.
- Herbs + Spices. The way you add taste to stroganoff! As a result of floor rooster is pretty bland by itself, to provide the dish loads of pizzazz, I used a mix of spices you’ll at all times discover in my pantry: black pepper, salt, dried thyme, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
For a splash of additional umami taste, you might add a splash (or two) of Worcestershire sauce. A little bit of Dijon mustard is a pleasant manner so as to add some further zip as nicely.
- Brown the rooster with the spices. Add the mushrooms. Stir within the flour.
- Stir in a part of the rooster broth. Then, add the remaining inventory and noodles. Convey to a boil and stir. Let simmer till the noodles are tender.
- Take away the pan from the warmth. Soften the yogurt into the pasta, and garnish with parsley. DIG IN!
- To Retailer. Preserve stroganoff in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low warmth. Add a splash of rooster inventory as wanted.
- To Freeze. Freeze stroganoff in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
What to Serve with Hen Stroganoff
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Greatest Dutch Oven
This high-quality Dutch oven will final you a lifetime. It’s heavy-duty and ideal for on a regular basis use.
Hen stroganoff in a single pot for the win!
Often Requested Questions
Whereas I’ve not made this recipe with cream cheese earlier than, I think about it could work as an acceptable swap for Greek yogurt. Go for a reduced-fat selection to maintain issues mild, reduce it into small items, and ensure to carry the cream cheese to room temperature to make sure it melts shortly and easily into the recipe.
Whereas noodles are conventional, you might additionally make stroganoff with rice or potatoes. I’d recommend cooking the stroganoff sauce individually (you’ll need to scale back the rooster broth since there aren’t any noodles to soak up it), then serving it over cooked Garlic Mashed Potatoes or (for a low carb stroganoff) Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes. For rice, Prompt Pot Brown Rice is straightforward and hands-free.
Whereas many countries (together with Ukraine, Russia, Germany, and Brazil) have their very own variations of stroganoff, the unique recipe is believed to have been named for members of the influential Russian Stroganov household whose French chef, André Dupont, created this recipe close to the flip of the nineteenth century.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound floor rooster
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon floor black pepper
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced (additionally referred to as child bellas)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups unsalted rooster inventory
- 8 ounces complete wheat egg noodles
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt at room temperature*
- Chopped recent parsley elective
In a big, deep skillet or a dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid, warmth the olive oil over medium. As soon as scorching, add the rooster, thyme, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Proceed to prepare dinner, breaking apart the meat with a spoon, till it’s absolutely browned on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the sliced mushrooms. Proceed to prepare dinner till the mushrooms start to melt, about 5 to six minutes. Sprinkle the flour excessive, then stir in order that it coats the rooster and mushrooms.
Add about one-third of the rooster inventory. Stir and work the flour and any browned bits off of the underside of the pan. Add the remainder of the inventory and the egg noodles and canopy the pan. Convey the liquid to a boil, then instantly take away the lid and stir the pan. Re-cover, then scale back the warmth to a low simmer. Let simmer till the noodles are al dente and many of the liquid is absorbed, about 7 minutes, stirring the noodles and changing the lid each couple of minutes. If at any level the liquid drops beneath a delicate simmer, improve the warmth barely.
As soon as the noodles are tender, take away the pan from the warmth and let sit 1 minute to chill barely. Stir within the room-temperature Greek yogurt. Style and alter seasonings as desired. Sprinkle with recent parsley and serve scorching.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate stroganoff in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low warmth. Add a splash of rooster inventory as wanted.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze stroganoff in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 5), about 2 cupsEnergy: 396kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 30gFats: 16gSaturated Fats: 4gLdl cholesterol: 137mgFiber: 5gSugar: 3g
Be a part of immediately and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.