Lotto Soudal’s Thomas De Gendt sprinted to a Giro d’Italia stage victory in Napoli at this time after driving the day’s breakaway over the lumpy circuit race to take his newest grand tour prize. The breakaway specialist completed off a two-man effort with teammate Hurt Vanhoucke, versus Davide Gabburo of Bardiani and Jorge Arcas of Movistar, and simply forward of a threatening chase group together with quick finishers Mathieu van der Poel and Biniam Girmay. The win was his fifth stage of a grand tour and second of the Giro d’Italia, to go along with wins within the Vuelta a España and two successes on the Tour de France. his earlier Giro win was a dramatic stage win on the Passo dello Stelvio in 2012, propelling him to a 3rd place end total, his solely excessive basic classification end in his profession.
Lennard Kämna of Bora made an effort to flee the peloton looking for the maglia rosa, however was tracked down efficiently by Juan Pedro Lopez, the present occupant who will get pleasure from it till tomorrow, when the general contenders are prone to take command of the GC.
- DE GENDT Thomas, Lotto Soudal, 3:32:53
- GABBURO Davide, Bardiani-CSF-Faizanè
- ARCAS Jorge, Movistar Group
- VANHOUCKE Hurt, Lotto Soudal, at 0:04
- GIRMAY Biniam, Intermarché – Wanty – Gobert Matériaux, at 0:15
- SCHMID Mauro, Fast-Step Alpha Vinyl Group
- VAN DER POEL Mathieu, Alpecin-Fenix
- POELS Wout, Bahrain – Victorious, at 0:30
- MARTIN Guillaume
Napoli – Napoli 153 km
One thing as odd as a circuit race inn a GT. Predictions are this shall be like a tough basic. Perhaps for some however I believe it could be much more informal for these not within the breakaway.
Anticipated end: 17:00 – 17:25 CEST
King Diego of the Day : Davide Ballerini
* seems up more than likely Fast Step rider *