After a one-week break following the inaugural Miami Grand Prix, Method 1 turns its consideration to Barcelona for the Spanish Grand Prix. The brand new period of technical rules made its on-track debut on the Catalunya circuit again in February for the primary spherical of testing. With that benchmark, familiarity with the monitor, and its proximity to most groups’ residence operations in Europe, no less than half the grid is anticipated to carry main updates this weekend.
The Miami GP was crammed with hype and spectacle however delivered the TV scores that ESPN and people backing the American market have been hoping for. With an common viewership of two.6 million the 2022 Miami GP grew to become the highest-rated reside F1 race in US tv historical past (and second all-time behind a 2002 tape-delayed Monaco GP on ABC).
On Wednesday, F1 introduced that they might not be changing the canceled Sochi GP occasion in Russia, leaving the 2022 season with a well-balanced 22 race schedule. Because the collection shifts gears to Spain, it’ll be a packed weekend in Barcelona with Method 2, Method 3, and the W Sequence all operating in help of F1. On this new period of price restrictions, can Ferrari land a significant improve to place them again on the prime of the rostrum or will Crimson Bull and Max Verstappen proceed their latest domination?
The place Issues Stand
Max Verstappen (85) maintained his document of successful each race he has completed and in doing so has lower Charles Leclerc’s (104) result in simply 19 factors. An additional 19 factors again finds Crimson Bull’s different driver Sergio Perez (66) adopted intently by George Russell (59) and Carlos Sainz (53). Lewis Hamilton at present sits sixth with 36 factors.
Within the Constructor standings, Ferrari’s early lead is sort of gone because of Crimson Bull’s management on the final two circuits and Sainz’s unlucky run of outcomes previous to Miami. Ferrari has 157 in comparison with Crimson Bull’s 151, each properly forward of the 8-time reigning Constructor Champions Mercedes who’re again in a distant third in the intervening time with 95 factors.
Constructed forward of the 1992 Olympic Video games in Barcelona, the Catalunya circuit has been residence to the Spanish Grand Prix for the reason that 1991 season. It’s the eighth location to carry the Spanish GP and was dominated by Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes within the final era of F1 rules. Hamilton has received on the monitor a complete of six occasions, together with the final 5 in a row.
There are two DRS zones, together with a protracted entrance stretch, and 16 turns. With excessive, medium, and low-speed corners, plus two lengthy straights, the Barcelona circuit delivers fairly the problem but in addition provides a little bit of all the things for the assorted group setups. Method 1 visited the monitor earlier this yr for the primary on-track assessments of the brand new car rules which is able to give everybody a transparent concept of their improvement progress. Count on temperatures within the 80s this weekend, which ought to present a good quantity of tire degradation. Pirelli is anticipated to carry their three hardest tire compounds in an try and steadiness this impact.
How To Watch
- Apply 1 – Friday 5/20 – 7:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Apply 2 – Friday 5/20 – 10:55 am – ESPNU/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Spanish GP Preview Present: Friday 5/20 – 2:00 pm – ESPN3/WatchESPN
- Apply 3 – Saturday 5/21 – 6:55 am – ESPNU/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Qualifying – Saturday 5/21 – 9:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Grand Prix Sunday (Pre-race Present) – Sunday 5/22 – 7:30 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Grand Prix Race – Sunday 5/22 – 8:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
For these with out cable trying to watch the Spanish Grand Prix weekend, you possibly can subscribe to F1TV on to catch each race, qualifying, and apply session all through the 2022 season.
DraftKings Sportsbook is providing odds on the race. Due to his second straight win, and third to date this season, Max Verstappen enters the Spanish Grand Prix because the clear favourite at -105. Charles Leclerc stays his closest competitor (+135) adopted by his Ferrari teammate Carlos Sainz who’s at +1400 to choose up his first-ever F1 victory at his residence monitor. Sergio Perez (+1600) and each of the Mercedes drivers (+3500) spherical out the highest six. The Cinderella story of Fernando Alonso selecting up his first F1 win since 2013 sits at +25,000
What to Watch For:
- Upgrades! Ferrari is anticipated to carry a number of upgrades, together with a brand new ground to enhance their porpoising difficulty. Crimson Bull is reportedly bringing a lighter automobile, whereas Alpine, Aston Martin, and Alfa Romeo are all planning a number of upgrades to their 2022 design which might result in a shuffle within the midfield.
- If the Ferrari upgrades can push them again in entrance of the Crimson Bull package deal, would possibly Sunday carry the first-ever F1 win for Carlos Sainz? In entrance of giant residence help and trying to erase misfortunes earlier this season, might Sainz pull off an upset and make this a three-way battle for the motive force’s title?
- Will Crimson Bull’s reliability points come up once more? In Miami, Verstappen had points limiting his apply time on Friday, whereas Perez noticed an power difficulty mid-race influence his capability to problem Sainz for the rostrum.
- George Russell has been the one driver to complete within the prime 5 at every race this season. His consistency has been a vibrant spot for Mercedes who nonetheless struggled to maintain up with the highest two groups in Miami. If notably slower than the February check, would possibly Mercedes revert again to their no-sidepod design?
- McLaren would like to rediscover their day one testing tempo from Barcelona again in February. The primary take a look at the brand new 2022 automobiles noticed Lando Norris prime the charts by greater than half a second over the Ferraris and over a full second forward of each Mercedes and Crimson Bulls. That proved a false begin for McLaren after ending 14th and fifteenth to begin the season in Bahrain. Can a return to the Catalunya circuit assist them return to podium rivalry?
Earlier than you allow be certain that to take a look at this week’s Grill the Grid the place the F1 drivers try and kind the sphere by top in two minutes.