Enliven your cookie bucket record with these thick and chewy old school Coconut Cookies. They’re easy to make and delicious. Get able to go (coco)-nutty.
A crispy preliminary chew lures you right into a chewy, buttery inside that then surprises and delights you with its coconutty goodness and “why can’t I cease consuming these?” texture.
These coconut cookies are easy to make at dwelling, a enjoyable various to your go-to cookie recipes, and on the more healthy facet (for cookies anyway).
For those who suppose it’s nuts to like coconuts, I encourage you to rethink.
Whilst you would possibly suppose coconut must be reserved for tiki bars, it’s a wonderful ingredient so as to add to desserts for a candy, nutty taste, and bewitching texture.
Since excessive is rarely sufficient round right here, these coconut cookies use it 3 ways: flaked coconut, coconut sugar, and coconut oil.
Methods to Use Coconut
Along with cookies, coconut makes a superb mix-in for granolas and wholesome snacks.
If you end up with a number of shredded coconut that you just aren’t positive how you can end off, right here’s what to do:
Tips on how to Make Coconut Cookies
Whip up some coconut delightfulness with only one mixing bowl, after which watch everybody in your own home run to the kitchen after they scent them baking!
- Butter. 5 tablespoons to ship the buttery taste you could have in any home made cookie.
- Greek Yogurt. Lightens these cookies by changing a few of the butter.
- Coconut Sugar. Additionally known as coconut palm sugar, it has a gentle, barely nutty taste, is low on the glycemic index, and sweetness these cookies extra naturally.
- Contemporary Lemon Zest. Contemporary lemon zest is a shiny praise to the coconut taste. Non-compulsory, however I like to recommend for the added complexity!
- Vanilla Extract. No immidation stuff allowed, please. You may actually style it in cookies, so the pure vanilla is price it.
- White Complete Wheat Flour. One other favourite trick of mine so as to add somewhat extra vitamins into baked items is utilizing white entire wheat flour instead of a few of the all-purpose flour. This flour combination provides you extra protein and fiber.
- Flaked Coconut. Coconut flakes are a bigger model of shredded coconut; as an alternative of being grated, coconut is reduce into bigger flakes which might be then dried. Choosing flakes as an alternative of shredded coconut is a texture distinction and makes the coconut extra pronounced.
- Cream butter, Greek yogurt, and sugars till gentle and fluffy.
- Add egg, lemon zest, and vanilla, then beat in baking soda and salt.
- Combine in flours.
- Stir in coconut. Refrigerate at the least 1 hour.
- Bake coconut cookies 8 to 9 minutes at 350 levels F till golden brown. Let cool for five minutes on baking sheet, then switch to wire rack. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Retailer leftover coconut cookies at room temperature in an hermetic container for as much as every week (as in the event that they’ll final that lengthy!).
- To Freeze. Place baked cookies in hermetic, freezer-safe container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, then switch to room temperature.
Meal Prep Tip
Freshly combined dough must be refrigerated for at the least 1 hour earlier than baking, however you’ll be able to preserve it within the fridge for as much as 4 days previous to baking in hermetic container. It’s a good way to prep your vacation baking extravaganza.
You may portion and freeze cookie dough and have freshly-baked cookies on demand! After making your dough, scoop into balls, and lay on cookie sheet. Freeze for 10 minutes so the balls don’t stick collectively, after which switch to hermetic, freezer protected container, and preserve in freezer for a wet day.
Dough balls will be cooked instantly from frozen; simply add a couple of minutes to the called-for baking time. For finest outcomes, use frozen dough inside 3 months.
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
Let’s rejoice coconut past the islands with coconut cookies!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Desiccated coconut has a finer texture than dried, shredded coconut. Consider it like finely grated cheese versus grated cheese.
I believe chocolate could be a stunning addition to those coconut cookies (I imply, how might it damage?). You possibly can add ½ cup darkish chocolate chips or chunks as further combine in.
Whereas each are pleasant coconutty desserts, they’re very completely different! Coconut macaroons are meringue-like whereas coconut cookies are similar to a sugar cookie with coconut combined in. Macaroons are made with sweetened shredded coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and whipped egg whites.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt at room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or substitute gentle brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 giant egg at room temperature
- Zest of 1 small lemon optionally available
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all function flour
- ¾ cup white entire wheat flour or further all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
In a big bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, Greek yogurt, coconut sugar, and granulated sugar with an electrical mixer on medium pace till very gentle and fluffy, about 4 full minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl as wanted.
Add egg, lemon zest (if utilizing), and vanilla. Beat till included, scraping down the bowl as wanted. The combination will look curdled, however don’t fret. Beat within the baking soda and salt till mixed.
Cut back the mixer pace to low and regularly add the all function flour and white entire wheat flour, mixing simply till it disappears. The dough will look crumbly.
By hand with a rubber spatula or picket spoon, stir within the coconut. For one of the best taste and to verify the cookies should not too dry, refrigerate for at the least 1 hour or in a single day.
When able to bake, place a rack within the middle of your oven and preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. With a cookie scoop or spoon, portion the cookies by heaping tablespoons, spacing them 1 inch aside on the ready baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes, till barely dry on the highest and edges however nonetheless delicate inside. Let cool on the baking sheet for five minutes, then gently switch to a cooling rack. (I like to slip my piece of parchment or silicone baking mat proper off the baking sheet and onto the cooling rack.) Get pleasure from heat or at room temperature.
- TO STORE: Retailer leftover cookies at room temperature in an hermetic container for as much as every week (as in the event that they’ll final that lengthy!).
- TO FREEZE: Place baked cookies in hermetic, freezer-safe container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, then switch to room temperature. Or portion and freeze dough; bake from frozen, including to baking time as wanted.
Energy: 143kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 2gFats: 7gSaturated Fats: 6gPolyunsaturated Fats: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fats: 1gTrans Fats: 0.1gLdl cholesterol: 17mgPotassium: 53mgFiber: 2gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 101IUVitamin C: 0.2mgCalcium: 10mgIron: 1mg
Be part of in the present day and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.