Let me inform you a couple of very particular pasta that I just lately launched into my life and has by some means managed to develop into one in all our all-time favourite dinners to whip up. It’s stuffed with attractive shell pasta, tender rooster breast, candy caramelized onions, and nutritious spinach that by some means melts completely right into a creamy, but gentle parmesan cheese sauce.
Sure, you completely should meet my without end bff: this one pot unbelievable caramelized onion spinach rooster pasta bake. Also called heaven on earth.
A few of my finest recipes come to me once I’m peeking round in my fridge, making an attempt to determine what to make to make use of up components with out going to the shop. This wholesome rooster pasta bake is not any completely different and is made with easy components that you just may have already got on-hand.
It’s creamy, barely candy because of these juicy caramelized browned onions, full of protein, and has some fairly superior lick-your-plate-clean kinda magic flavors taking place. I swear I might bathe within the parmesan cheese sauce that soaks up the brown bits on the backside of the pan from the caramelized onions and rooster.
Simply belief your pleasant neighborhood blogger and put this one in your menu ASAP.
Components on this creamy rooster pasta bake
Admittedly I used to be feeling significantly impressed by the parmesan sauce in my more healthy tuna noodle casserole, and when I discovered two luggage of spinach that wanted for use up, an onion lurking within the pantry and a few parmesan, I knew magic was about to be made. Belief me, you’re going to fall in LOVE with this pasta and be amazed at how straightforward and scrumptious it was. Listed below are the components you want:
- Pasta: I really like shells on this recipe however you should utilize any pasta you’d like — together with gluten free! I believe penne pasta or fusilli could be so enjoyable.
- Rooster: I like to make use of boneless skinless rooster breast, however rooster thighs can even work.
- Seasonings: the one seasonings you’ll want to present this recipe the right taste are garlic powder, salt & pepper. You could possibly additionally add a kick of warmth with purple pepper flakes for those who’re feeling slightly wild!
- Veggies: we’re utilizing TWO full luggage of spinach, which is able to seem to be it’s rather a lot, however it cooks down a ton and is ideal blended in with the pasta and sauce. You’ll even be caramelizing some onions!
- For the sauce: that creamy parmesan sauce is made with butter, flour, milk, and parmesan cheese. Be happy to make use of any milk you’d like, in addition to all function. complete wheat, or gluten free flour. That’s proper, there’s no cream concerned, however it tastes like a greater alfredo sauce!
- Breadcrumbs: for the toasty breadcrumb topping. Be happy to make use of gluten free breadcrumbs!
Customise this wholesome rooster pasta bake
Be happy to make this wholesome rooster pasta bake your personal! Right here’s what I can advocate for substitutions and/or additions:
- Select your veggies: I believe this recipe could be scrumptious with mushrooms, peas, broccoli and even solar dried or common tomatoes.
- Make it vegetarian: be at liberty to throw in some chickpeas as an alternative of the rooster.
- Go gluten free: merely use your fav gluten free noodles, gluten free all function flour within the sauce, and gluten free breadcrumbs on prime. You could possibly additionally substitute crushed up gluten free tortilla chips, potato chips or crackers for the topping!
- Strive it dairy free: I recommend utilizing vegan butter, a dairy free milk of selection (just like the almond milk listed) and dairy free parmesan cheese.
Searching for a fast protein possibility?
You could possibly simply throw in some shredded rotisserie rooster as an alternative of cooking the rooster for this pasta casserole! It’s an effective way to make use of up leftover rooster, too.
In case you favor, you possibly can skip the bread crumbs and the baking of the pasta. We do that typically after we wish to eat rapidly and it’s nonetheless simply as scrumptious! Be happy to crumble crackers on prime for those who’d nonetheless like slightly buttery crunch.
The way to caramelize onions
I do know caramelizing onions can really feel intimidating, however it’s simpler to do than you suppose!
- Add in ½ tablespoon olive oil or butter, sliced onions and salt and pepper to a big pot and place over medium warmth; stir to coat.
- Cook dinner onions, stirring often; verify your onions each 5-10 minutes till they’ve fully caramelized and turned golden brown.
- If the onions look like getting too darkish or sticking an excessive amount of to the underside of the pan, then merely scale back the warmth a bit. You may as well add a teaspoon or two of water.
Make it forward of time
- Prep it forward of time: be at liberty to make this rooster pasta bake forward of time and bake it a day or two later! Merely make the recipe as directed, besides don’t add the breadcrumbs. As an alternative, cowl with foil and place in fridge till able to bake. As soon as able to bake, add the breadcrumbs as directed and bake. You make want so as to add 5-10 minutes of additional baking time.
- Freezer-friendly possibility: if you wish to make this rooster pasta bake forward of time, merely make the recipe as directed, besides don’t bake it with the breadcrumbs on prime. As an alternative, put it in a freezer-safe container pan like these, cowl and place it in a freezer secure bag till you’re able to bake. As soon as able to bake, thaw out the rooster pasta bake within the fridge in a single day. As soon as thawed, bake as directed!
Retailer any leftover rooster pasta bake in hermetic containers within the fridge for as much as 3-4 days. Merely reheat leftovers within the microwave till heat. In any other case, comply with the freezing directions above!
Less difficult pasta recipes to strive
Get all of my scrumptious pasta recipes right here!
I do know you’re going to LOVE this spinach rooster pasta bake! Remember to depart a remark and price the recipe beneath for those who make it. Thanks for being right here — I admire you! xo.
Unbelievable Caramelized Onion Spinach Rooster Pasta Bake
Complete Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Unbelievable caramelized onion spinach rooster pasta bake made with two full luggage of spinach for further veggies and a creamy, lightened up parmesan cheese sauce. This protein-packed, wholesome rooster pasta bake is the right weeknight dinner while you’re craving one thing heat and comforting!
- For the pasta:
dry pasta shells (or use rotini, fusilli, or no matter pasta you’d like — even gluten free!)
- For the rooster:
boneless skinless rooster breast, diced into ½ inch cubes
- Freshly floor salt and pepper
- For the caramelized onions & spinach:
olive oil (or butter)
very giant (or 2 medium) yellow onions, sliced
- Freshly floor salt and pepper
- For the parmesan cheese sauce:
all function flour (or complete wheat flour or all function gluten free flour)
unsweetened almond milk (or cashew milk or common milk)
grated parmesan cheese
- Freshly floor black pepper
- For the topping:
breadcrumbs, gluten free if desired
Preheat your oven to 350 levels Spray a 2-quart baking dish or 9×9 inch or 11×7 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, or grease with olive oil or butter.
Boil the noodles till al dente, in line with the instructions on the bundle. As soon as completed cooking, drain and put aside.
Cook dinner your rooster: add ½ tablespoon olive oil to a big pot and place over medium excessive warmth. Add in diced rooster, season with garlic powder and salt and pepper; prepare dinner for 5-7 minutes or till rooster is now not pink. Switch rooster to a big bowl as soon as completed cooking.
In the identical pot you cooked rooster, you possibly can caramelize your onions: add in ½ tablespoon olive oil or butter, onions and salt and pepper; stir to coat. Cook dinner onions, stirring often; verify your onions each 5-10 minutes till they’ve fully caramelized and turned golden brown. If the onions look like getting too darkish or sticking an excessive amount of to the underside of the pan, then merely scale back the warmth a bit. You may as well add in a couple of teaspoons of water to assist deglaze the pan. As soon as the onions have caramelized, scale back warmth to low and stir in spinach with the onions; prepare dinner till spinach wilts. Take away from warmth and switch to the bowl with the rooster.
In the identical pot, add in 2 tablespoons of butter and place over medium warmth. As soon as butter is melted, whisk in slightly little bit of the flour after which slowly add in milk, slightly bit at a time, alternating with the flour and vigorously whisking away any lumps. Convey combination to a boil, then scale back warmth to a simmer and stir occasionally, till the sauce thickens up.
As soon as sauce has thickened up a bit, flip off the warmth and stir in garlic powder, parmesan cheese. salt and LOTS of freshly floor black pepper.
Subsequent stir in cooked noodles, spinach and caramelized onions and rooster. Season once more with salt and pepper, to style. Pour combination into your ready baking pan and unfold out.
In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs with melted butter. Sprinkle breadcrumb combination on prime of casserole and bake for 25 minutes or till breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serves 6.
In case you favor, you possibly can skip the breadcrumbs and the baking of the pasta. We do that typically after we wish to eat faster and it is nonetheless simply as scrumptious! Be happy to crumble crackers on prime for those who’d nonetheless like slightly buttery crunch.
Freezer pleasant possibility: merely make the recipe as directed, besides don’t bake it with the breadcrumbs on prime. As an alternative, put it in a freezer-safe container pan like these, cowl and place in a freezer secure bag till you’re able to bake. As soon as able to bake, thaw out the rooster pasta bake within the fridge in a single day. As soon as thawed, bake as directed!
Servings: 6 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving (primarily based on 6)
Saturated fats: 6g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats
This put up was initially revealed on March nineteenth, 2020, and republished on February twenty sixth, 2023.