We’re taking all of it the best way again to 2013. Sure, 10 complete years in the past after I found an additional butternut squash laying round and determined to prepare dinner up some magic.
For those who love my well-known Candy Potato Black Bean Enchiladas, prepare for an unbelievable winter model. In a freaking skillet. OMG, sure.
Let’s focus on this magical concoction that jumped out of my thoughts, into the skillet, and onto my plate…or we might simply stare at photographs and drool? No, I undoubtedly want to elucidate how good this dinner is. Every chew is full of tender, barely candy butternut squash, scrumptious black beans, crave-able tortilla strips, and layers of melted cheese.
This vegetarian enchilada skillet is the proper meal while you’re craving enchiladas however don’t really feel like doing all that rolling. It’s SO straightforward to make in nearly half-hour and may simply develop into certainly one of your new fav dinners (except it has been for the previous 10 years!)
All the pieces you’ll have to make this enchilada skillet
This recipe is a type of throw-everything-in-the-pan ones that simply work. We’ve bought veggies, protein, fiber, and loads of warming spices. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Veggies: you’ll cube up a couple of 2lb butternut squash for this scrumptious skillet. I like the refined sweetness it provides. You’ll additionally want an onion and a jalapeño.
- Herbs & spices: we’re including taste to the skillet with recent garlic, floor cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper.
- Black beans: get that wholesome dose of protein and fiber from a can of black beans!
- Tortillas: I like to make use of yellow corn tortillas on this enchilada skillet. You’ll reduce these into thick strips for layering.
- Enchilada sauce: be at liberty to make use of a can of enchilada sauce for ease, or strive my Selfmade Enchilada Sauce!
- Cheese: sprinkle on loads of shredded Mexican cheese or colby jack for that tacky goodness (and further protein).
- For serving: I wish to high my plate with recent cilantro and a dollop of greek yogurt or bitter cream. Oh, and my do-it-yourself guacamole could be next-level scrumptious.
Customise your enchilada skillet
As a result of it’s made with easy elements, this vegetarian enchilada skillet is straightforward to customise! Right here’s what I can advocate:
- Select your veggies: be at liberty so as to add in any veggies which might be in season! Candy potato could be an excellent swap for the squash, and zucchini, bell pepper, or corn could be nice spring & summer time choices.
- Decide your tortillas: as I discussed you may completely use flour tortillas should you’d like. Utilizing corn tortillas will maintain this dish gluten free.
- Add a lift of protein: in search of much more protein? Add 1-2 cups of cooked, shredded hen, floor hen, or floor turkey.
- Go dairy free: simply swap the cheese on your favourite vegan/dairy free cheese, or omit the cheese and drizzle the skillet with my Jalapeño Inexperienced Tahini Sauce.
prep your butternut squash
You’re going to need to peel and dice the butternut squash earlier than including it to this recipe, so get all of my ideas & methods for safely doing so right here.
Vegetarian enchilada skillet in 3 steps
We’re stirring up oooey gooey enchilada love right here. See? Right here’s the right way to make them:
- Cook dinner your veggies. Begin by cooking down the onion, garlic & jalapeño in a giant skillet with olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add the cubed squash and spices, and prepare dinner till the squash is barely tender.
- Add the enchilada elements. Stir within the black beans, corn tortilla strips, and enchilada sauce. Scale back the warmth and stir in some cheese.
- Broil & serve. Add extra cheese and plate the skillet below your broiler to get it good and melty. Then serve with cilantro, greek yogurt or bitter cream, and guacamole should you’d like!
Suggestions for making forward
There are a few methods you can save much more time when making this enchilada skillet:
- Be at liberty to dice your butternut squash, chop your onion, and cube your jalapeño 1-2 days beforehand. Retailer the onion and jalapeño collectively, and the squash individually, in hermetic containers within the fridge. That method you may pour them into your skillet and prepare dinner up the skillet shortly.
- If you wish to go a step additional, be at liberty to saute all your veggies 1 day earlier than (you’ll want to not overcook), allow them to cool, and retailer them in an hermetic container within the fridge. The subsequent day you may heat them in your skillet and proceed with step 2 of the recipe.
Retailer any leftover enchilada skillet in hermetic containers within the fridge for as much as 3-5 days. Merely reheat within the microwave till warmed by means of.
Extra vegetarian dinners to strive
Get all of my vegetarian dinner recipes right here!
I hope you’re keen on this butternut squash and black bean enchilada skillet! For those who make it you’ll want to go away a remark and a ranking so I understand how you favored it. Take pleasure in, xo!
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
Flavorful butternut squash and black bean enchilada skillet full of fiber and protein for a scrumptious dinner the entire household will love. This straightforward vegetarian enchilada skillet comes collectively in half-hour and is nice for meal prep!
olive oil or avocado oil
1/2-inch-diced, peeled butternut squash (from a couple of 2-lb. squash)
- salt and pepper, to season
medium yellow onion, diced
jalapeno, diced (and seeded if you need much less spice)
can black beans, drained and rinsed
yellow corn tortillas, reduce into thick strips
can purple enchilada sauce
shredded colby jack or mexican cheese (or no matter you like), divided
- cilantro and greek yogurt, for serving
Add olive oil to a big oven-proof skillet and place over medium warmth. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeno and prepare dinner 3-5 minutes till onions develop into translucent and garlic is aromatic. Add cubed squash, cumin and chili powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook dinner, stirring sometimes, till the squash is barely tender, about 10 minutes or so. Generally it helps should you cowl the pan with a lid to create condensation, which is able to assist to hurry up the cooking time. You need the squash to be fork tender, however not so tender that it begins to disintegrate and develop into mush.
Subsequent, add the black beans, corn tortilla items, and the can of enchilada sauce and stir to mix. Scale back warmth to medium-low and sprinkle in 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir once more and simmer for a couple of minutes. Flip in your oven broiler to excessive. Sprinkle an extra 1/2 cup of cheese (or extra if you would like!) excessive of the enchilada combination and place in oven below broiler for 3-5 minutes till cheese melts. Take away from oven and serve instantly. Be at liberty so as to add in cilantro. Serve with bitter cream, guacamole, or scorching sauce if you would like! Take pleasure in.
See the complete publish for ideas, methods & methods to customise this enchilada skillet!
Servings: 4 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving (primarily based on 4)
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Formidable Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats