Made with tender, thinly-sliced steak and ribbons of broad rice noodles, this pan-fried recipe for Beef Chow Enjoyable is straightforward to make and loaded with taste! Sesame, garlic, and ginger hit all the suitable notes.
Savory Stir-Fried Steak and Noodles
A well-liked dish in Cantonese eating places, Beef Chow Enjoyable is a quite simple dish that options massive, daring rice noodles in a savory brown sauce. Like pad thai, these rice noodles take in the entire flavors, delivering a completely slurp-worthy meal that you just’ll completely love! Tender slices of flank steak add protein and texture, with broccoli florets and bean sprouts added for further diet.
That is mostly a dish you’d order as takeout, but it surely’s truly fairly easy to make a do-it-yourself model, utilizing substances yow will discover at any massive grocer or at Asian markets. This recipe will present you how one can do it, so prepare to satisfy your new favourite stir-fry! 🥢
What Is the Distinction Between Chow Mein and Chow Enjoyable?
Chow mein is a bit more well-known than chow enjoyable, however the two noodle dishes are fairly related. The principle distinction is in the kind of noodle that’s used. Chow mein noodles are wheat-based, and embody eggs. Chow enjoyable noodles are rice-based, and are often broad and flat, like fettuccine.
Contemporary noodles are sometimes utilized in chow enjoyable dishes, however you can even soak and use dried rice noodles.
The Listing of Elements
So what is going to you should make your personal beef chow enjoyable at house? Let’s have a look! There are three fundamental parts right here: steak, stir-fry, and sauce. Right here’s the thin:
For the Steak
- Steak: Minimize a pound of flank steak into ⅛-inch strips, in opposition to the grain, for optimum tenderness.
- Soy Sauce: I like to make use of low-sodium, however common is okay, too. Should you don’t need to use soy sauce, you’ll be able to substitute tamari or coconut aminos.
- Wine: Only a splash of Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry).
- Sesame Oil: This helpful condiment offers the meat that traditional “takeout” style.
- Cornstarch: Potato starch or tapioca starch can also be high-quality.
For the Stir Fry
- Broccoli: Chunk-size broccoli florets cook dinner up simply, and add a lift of shade and texture.
- Noodles: Contemporary rice noodles aren’t at all times simple to search out, so I used broad dry rice noodles (sa-ho enjoyable) as an alternative. However you probably have entry to contemporary, by all means, use them!
- Oil: You’ll want vegetable oil for stir-frying and sesame oil for flavoring.
- Ginger: Minced contemporary ginger is greatest, however powdered will work if that’s all you might have.
- Garlic: Press or mince a couple of garlic cloves.
- Onion: The onion needs to be thinly sliced.
- Bean Sprouts: Mung bean sprouts style superb on this dish! Should you can’t discover good-quality sprouts close to you, you’ll be able to depart these out, or finely shred one other veggie, like cabbage, for just a little pop of freshness.
- Inexperienced Onions: Slice up the inexperienced onions, the white and inexperienced components.
FOR THE STIR FRY SAUCE
- Soy Sauce: Once more, you should use your favourite soy sauce or substitute right here.
- Wine: Dry sherry or Shaoxing wine.
- Sugar: Only a pinch, to calmly sweeten and assist the dish caramelize.
Let’s Make Beef Chow Enjoyable!
Making beef chow enjoyable isn’t laborious, however there are a couple of completely different steps concerned, so I like to recommend wanting over the recipe a couple of occasions earlier than you get began. It’s actually useful – I might even say it’s needed – to prep your substances and set them out earlier than cooking! That approach, you don’t must measure or chop on the fly.
- Marinate the Steak. Earlier than you start, slice your steak and place it in a big bowl. Add the soy sauce, wine, water, sesame seed oil, and cornstarch. Toss gently to coat the steak items, after which set this apart for quarter-hour or so whilst you work along with your different substances.
- Pre-Cook dinner the Broccoli: Whereas the steak marinates, carry a pot of water to boil and add the broccoli florets. Cook dinner for 3 minutes, till the florets are simply tender however not overly tender (or worse, mushy!). Drain the broccoli and set it apart.
- Cook dinner the Noodles. Check out the bundle instructions in your noodles, and cook dinner them accordingly. As soon as they’re cooked, rinse with chilly water, after which toss with a tiny little bit of oil to assist preserve them from sticking collectively. Set them apart.
- Cook dinner the Steak. Warmth up your wok or massive skillet, with a tablespoon of oil within the backside. Use excessive warmth; the upper the warmth, the higher the meat! As soon as the oil is sizzling, add the steak items and cook dinner for one minute per aspect. As soon as the steak is cooked, take it out of the wok (a slotted spoon is nice for this) and set it apart on a clear plate.
- Cook dinner the Aromatics with the Noodles. Place the wok again on the warmth, and put one other tablespoon of vegetable oil in it, together with a tablespoon of sesame oil. Add the ginger, and cook dinner for about 5 seconds. Stir within the garlic, and stir-fry that for 10 seconds, adopted by the onion, cooking for about 20 seconds. Lastly, add the noodles to the wok and cook dinner for about one minute.
- End the Stir Fry. Rapidly whisk collectively 3 tablespoons of soy sauce with 1 tablespoon of wine, and a pinch of sugar. Add the meat to the stir-frying noodles, adopted by the soy sauce combination, and toss to mix. Final, stir within the bean sprouts, broccoli, and inexperienced onions. Toss fastidiously, making an attempt to not break up the noodles, and let the stir-fry cook dinner collectively for about 30 seconds. Scoop the stir-fry onto an enormous serving plate or into an enormous bowl, and serve instantly.
Try these simple suggestions for a fantastic beef stir fry. Each will assist be sure your meal is successful. Glad cooking! 🧑🍳
- Noodle Substitute: Should you can’t discover broad rice noodles, peculiar pad thai noodles are substitute. They’ve roughly the identical taste, only a completely different form. Fettuccine will even work.
- In regards to the Wine: Shaoxing wine is typical in Chinese language stir-fries, however if you happen to don’t have that readily available, dry sherry makes a fantastic substitute!
- Slicing the Beef: To get actually skinny slices of beef, freeze it till it’s agency (however not frozen!) earlier than you slice it, and use a really sharp chef’s knife. The skinny slices will thaw out rapidly.
For serving, you’ll be able to’t go unsuitable with a simple takeout-style aspect dish or two. When you have frozen egg rolls or spring rolls that you just love, be happy to bake up a few of these, or make one in every of these simple do-it-yourself choices:
- Egg Roll in a Bowl: Who doesn’t love egg roll with their takeout? Egg rolls can take time to make at house, however this Skillet Egg Roll in a Bowl comes collectively very quickly, and makes a hearty, wholesome aspect.
- Cucumber Salad: A fast Sesame Cucumber Salad provides freshness and crunch to the menu! It’s simple to make and even higher to eat.
- Cabbage Slaw: One other traditional, Pink Cabbage and Carrot Slaw pairs completely with noodles and beef.
Tips on how to Retailer and Reheat Leftovers
- Leftover beef chow enjoyable will preserve within the fridge for as much as 4 days, saved in an hermetic container.
- Reheat your leftovers in a lined skillet for 4 to five minutes over medium warmth. If the stir-fry appears dry, add a splash of water. You can too microwave it in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time, stirring every time.
Does Beef Chow Enjoyable Freeze Nicely?
- I don’t advocate freezing beef chow enjoyable – the noodles and different substances are likely to lose their texture when frozen and thawed out.
- Should you should freeze it, retailer it in a freezer bag with as a lot air as doable pressed out.
- Thaw within the fridge and reheat inside two months of freezing.
Beef Chow Enjoyable
Ready with thinly-sliced flank steak and ribbons of broad rice noodles, this pan-fried recipe for Beef Chow Enjoyable is straightforward to make and it is loaded with taste!
Place the sliced flank steak in a bigger bowl.
To the steak, add low sodium soy sauce, dry sherry, water, sesame seed oil, and cornstarch; toss to mix. Put aside for quarter-hour.
Within the meantime, carry a pot of water to a boil; add the broccoli florets to the boiling water and cook dinner for about 2 to three minutes, or till simply tender. Drain, rinse, and put aside.
Cook dinner the noodles in response to the bundle instructions. Rinse them with chilly water after which toss the noodles with a drizzle of oil to forestall them from sticking. Put aside.
Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to a wok or a big skillet; set over excessive warmth and warmth it up.
To the recent oil, add the steak and cook dinner for 1 minute per aspect.
Take away steak from the wok/pan.
Return pan to the burner and warmth up 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil.
Add ginger to the heated oil and cook dinner for five seconds.
Stir within the garlic and cook dinner for 10 seconds.
Stir within the sliced yellow onion and cook dinner for 20 seconds.
Add within the cooked noodles; toss round and cook dinner for a minute.
Make the stir fry sauce: In a small bowl whisk collectively 3 tablespoons soy sauce with 1 tablespoon dry sherry and a pinch of sugar.
Add the meat to the skillet and pour within the ready stir fry sauce; stir to mix.
Stir within the bean sprouts, broccoli, and inexperienced onions; toss and stir, and cook dinner for 30 seconds.
Take away from warmth; style and alter accordingly.
Switch every little thing to a serving plate.
Beef Chow Enjoyable
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 99
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g15%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Ldl cholesterol 68mg23%
Vitamin A 521IU10%
Vitamin C 68mg82%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might range in response to the substances and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.
Key phrases: beef stir fry recipe, rice noodles