Almond Pleasure was certainly one of my favourite sweet bars as a child (my mates thought I used to be bizarre however hey, extra sweet for me!). This Almond Pleasure Cake is its highest calling. A decadent coconut cake enveloped in probably the most luscious chocolate cream cheese frosting and topped with crunchy roasted almonds, it’s one of many best-tasting issues that’s come out of our kitchen.
Yearly I’ve an age-inappropriate quantity of enjoyable planning my birthday cake.
Whereas Ben is content material with a easy batch of cookies (even Cookie Cake is a bit fancy for him), I like to make use of my birthday as an excuse to be a bit extra… extreme.
- One layer of cake? No, let’s make it three!
- Chocolate frosting? Okay, however let’s add in some cream cheese for added richness and physique (like within the frosting of my favourite Strawberry Cake).
- Plain yellow cake? Nah, let’s jazz issues up with some shredded coconut (like on this Banana Cake).
This Almond Pleasure Cake was initially the results of my joyous birthday cake plotting, nevertheless it has since earned cult standing amongst our group of mates.
It’s buttery, moist, and boasts three proud layers.
With its wealthy frosting, plush crumb, and touches of texture, it’s fully excessive, however that received’t cease you from having a second slice.
5 Star Assessment
“Love this recipe. Very good change from an all chocolate components.”
— Irene —
The way to Make Almond Pleasure Cake
This Almond Pleasure cake is each fantastic part of an Almond Pleasure, baked into luscious, three-layer cake kind.
It’s utter heaven for Almond Pleasure sweet bar lovers all over the place, with out being so candy because the flip off the skeptics.
- Flour. This simple Almond Pleasure cake is made with half all objective flour and half complete wheat pastry flour. The entire wheat flour is completely undetectable, which means you possibly can reward your self with a second slice for sneakily slipping in these complete grains to your unsuspecting birthday company.
- Sugar. For moisture, tenderness, and sweetness.
- Eggs. Give this cake carry, richness, colour, and a beautiful fluffy texture.
- Coconut Oil. Packs this cake with moisture (like this Prompt Pot Cake) and delicate coconut taste.
- Butter. This cake is right here to celebration.
- Coconut Flakes. Add sweetness, texture, and tropical coconut taste. (I’m additionally on crew coconut with regards to this Wholesome Carrot Cake recipe.)
- Cream Cheese. As an alternative of a butter base, I opted for mild cream cheese (like I did for this Chocolate Beet Cake), which offers an extremely luscious texture and tang to maintain the frosting from being too candy. It spreads fantastically, units properly, and lets the chocolate taste shine.
- Nonfat Milk. Thins the icing to an ideal spreadable consistency.
- Semi-Candy Chocolate. In my dark-chocolate loving opinion, the Almond Pleasure’s single flaw is its milk chocolate vs. darkish chocolate exterior, so I made this frosting very chocolatey (like my favourite Flourless Chocolate Torte) choosing semi-sweet chocolate quite than milk chocolate.
- Cocoa Powder. Deepens and intensifies the chocolate style of this heavenly chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Almond Extract and Vanilla. Infuse each the cake and frosting with clean vanilla and wealthy almond taste.
- Almonds. High the cake with a birthday crown of chunky almonds. Get after it.
- Beat collectively the sugar, butter, and coconut oil.
- Add the eggs, then beat within the vanilla and almond extracts.
The combination could look a bit curdled, however don’t be concerned.
- Sift collectively the dry components.
- Mix the dry and moist components collectively in an alternating trend. Fold within the coconut. Divide the batter evenly between three cake pans.
- Bake coconut cake till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear. Take away and let cool fully.
- Make the chocolate cream cheese frosting. Frost the cake and embellish with a bathe of toasted chopped almonds. Slice and serve. EN-almond-JOY!
- To Retailer. Cowl the cake, and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 4 days. Let it come to room temperature earlier than serving.
- To Freeze. Freeze your frosted or unfrosted cake for as much as 2 months. Let it thaw in a single day within the fridge, then deliver it to room temperature earlier than serving.
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Cake Pans. For this recipe, you’ll want a complete of three 9-inch cake pans.
- Offset Spatula. Makes icing this cake a breeze.
- Stand Mixer. For many who take birthday cake baking as significantly as I do, a stand mixer is nicely definitely worth the funding.
The Finest Stand Mixer
This 5-quart KitchenAid stand mixer has ten speeds and has been a sturdy secure in my kitchen for years. Plus, it is available in many enjoyable colours!
It’s my celebration, and I’ll have an over-the-top cake if I need to!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
I’ve solely made this almond pleasure cake as it’s written, so trying to adapt it right into a vegan almond pleasure cake can be a critical departure. Given the variety of eggs and quantity of dairy on this recipe, I’m unsure this can be a recipe that may lend itself nicely to vegan adaptation simply. I’d counsel, as a substitute, including coconut and almonds to this Vegan Chocolate Pie.
I’ve not experimented with making this recipe gluten free earlier than. Nevertheless, if you happen to’d like to aim to make an Almond Pleasure cake based mostly on this recipe, you can attempt swapping all objective and complete wheat pastry flour on your favourite 1-to-1 gluten free baking combine. In the event you give it a attempt, I’d love to listen to your outcomes. This Coconut Flour Cake is one other nice gluten free cake possibility to think about.
With regards to baking muffins, I don’t typically encourage making a recipe with completely complete wheat flour (particularly common complete wheat flour). Complete wheat flour will nearly at all times trigger a cake to return out dense and heavy. A mix of half and half complete wheat pastry flour and all objective flour, I discover to be the most effective mix of flour to make use of for complete wheat cake recipes because it nonetheless yields a cake with a light-weight and fluffy texture.
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 5 massive eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all objective flour
- 1 cup complete wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (6 ounces)
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons skim milk
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup complete roasted almonds roughly chopped
Place rack in higher and decrease thirds of oven and preheat oven to 325°. Grease three 9-inch spherical cake pans with cooking spray, line with parchment paper, the grease once more. Put aside.
In a big mixing bowl, beat collectively the sugar, butter, and coconut oil till nicely blended.
Add the eggs, one after the other, beating nicely after every addition. Beat within the vanilla and almond extracts. The combination could look a bit curdled, however don’t be concerned.
In a separate bowl, sift collectively the all objective flour, complete wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Beating nicely on low pace after every addition, add the dry components to the butter-sugar combination within the following order: 1/3 of the dry components; 1/2 of the buttermilk; the following 1/3 of the dry components; the ultimate 1/2 of the buttermilk; then the remaining dry components. With a rubber spatula, fold within the 6 ounces of flaked coconut.
Divide the batter evenly between the ready pans (the layers will look a bit skinny), then clean the tops.
Bake 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear, rotating the pans between the higher and decrease racks and 180 levels midway by way of. Take away from the oven and funky muffins of their pans for 10 minutes, then run a knife alongside the sides and gently flip the muffins out on a cooling rack to chill fully.
To organize the frosting, place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, then microwave in 10-second intervals, till nearly however not fully melted. Stir to soften the remaining chocolate, then put aside.
In a big mixing bowl, beat collectively the cream cheese and milk till clean and creamy. Add the melted chocolate, beating till well-blended. In a small separate bowl, whisk collectively the sugar and cocoa powder till clean. Add the sugar-cocoa to the cream cheese combination a bit at a time, beating on low pace till nicely blended. Beat within the vanilla and almond extracts, then proceed beating the frosting till very creamy.
Place one cake layer on a serving plate, prime facet down and flat facet up. Tuck strips of wax paper beneath the sides to guard the plate. Unfold the highest with 1/2 cup frosting. Place second layer, additionally flat facet up, then unfold prime one other 1/2 cup frosting. High with remaining cake layer, once more inserting the flat facet up. Unfold remaining frosting excessive and sides of the cake. Sprinkle toasted chopped almonds on prime. Fastidiously take away wax paper strips. Refrigerate for two hours previous to slicing and serving.
- TO STORE: Cowl the cake, and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 2 days. Let it come to room temperature earlier than serving.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze your frosted or unfrosted cake for as much as 2 months. Let it thaw in a single day within the fridge, then deliver it to room temperature earlier than serving.
Serving: 1(of 12)Energy: 683kcalCarbohydrates: 93gProtein: 10gFats: 33gSaturated Fats: 21gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 7gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 108mgPotassium: 351mgFiber: 4gSugar: 70gVitamin A: 476IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 111mgIron: 3mg
Be a part of right now and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.